Pioneer LD Player battle: DVL-909 vs. DVL-919

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael D. Bunting, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    I currently own the Pioneer DVL-909 DVD/LD combi player.
    I stumbled upon a sealed DVL-919 today and was curious on if I should upgrade up to this newer model. Price on this one is: $599.00 - plus I have a 20% off coupon at this retailer also.
    I'm only interested in LD playback with this machine (which is what I use my current DVL-909 for also), so DVD playback isn't really a deciding factor.
    The only advantage to the 919 over the 909 that I see is that the 919 offers component outputs, where as my 909 only has S-Video outs (I have the European "Champagne" colored model of the 909 which lacks component out).
    Would Component video upgrade show much of a difference vs S Video (S Video on the 909 vs Component on the 919)?
    I will most likely be purchasing a HDTV/16x9 Widescreen TV ( 53' or bigger!) within the next year to replace my 2 1/2 year old Sony 53" RPTV.
    Please give me any feedback you might have...right now I'm leaning toward NOT BUYING IT (my wife would prefer this choice also [​IMG]) , but if someone can talk me into it I'll do it probably [​IMG]
    ------------------
    I WAS DRUGGED AND LEFT FOR DEAD IN NEW MEXICO AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID T-SHIRT
    My Home Theater
    My DVD Collection
    My LD Collection

2. Nestor Vargas

If you only use it for LD keep the 909. The 919 offers DTS out for DVD, component out, and 24/96 DAC. The improved picture quality of the component out is only usable for DVD and CD Video.
    ------------------
    ¡Que vivan las películas en su formato original!

3. Michael D. Bunting

Michael
    Thanks for your quick reply Nestor...and the good information! Looks like my wife wins this battle [​IMG]
    Best Regards
    ------------------
    I WAS DRUGGED AND LEFT FOR DEAD IN NEW MEXICO AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID T-SHIRT
    My Home Theater
    My DVD Collection
    My LD Collection

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

No, you've won as well. Why spend your money on something that gives you absolutely no upgrade at all whatsoever? The 919 is identical to the 909 as a LD machine!
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    Pat's the best!™
    AIM: PhilBiker
    click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!

5. YANG

YANG Second Unit

"The 919 is identical to the 909 as a LD machine!"
    The appearance of 909 and 919 is ALMOST identical,the biggest difference lies under the cover.
    Yes,the use of these two as a LD machine is identical,indeed.

6. Michael D. Bunting

Michael
    Thanks guys!
    I nearly bought it on impulse, but I'm glad that I first posted here before doing so.
    It's just I had some extra money in my pocket and also had that 20% off coupon and I couldn't find anyhting else that I wanted or needed.
    I'll just hold on to the coupon until something better shows up.
    Best Regards,
    ------------------
    My Home Theater
    My DVD Collection
    My LD Collection

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

That's a really good price on a sealed 919! [​IMG] I can understand why you were tempted! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    Pat's the best!™
    AIM: PhilBiker
    click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!

8. YANG

YANG Second Unit

PIONEER DVL919 is coming to the end of the road,retailers here in SINGAPORE are now jacking up the price of this player,as they claim that the players sold are specially imported from JAPAN,where the manufacturing of this player for japanese domestic market is still going on...
    US$600?Thats about 1.1k here in singapore dollars only!!!