1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Pioneer laserdisc player repair

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by williammoore, Sep 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. williammoore

williammoore Auditioning

William Moore
    Hello. Does anyone know of a facility which can still repair Pioneer Laserdisc players? My DVL-700 is starting to have some playback issues like momentarily dropping out video and audio and not wanting to change sides. I used to use Bayview Electronics in Washington state but I think they have closed up. Help!

2. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Not many big facilities that do it anymore.

Kurtis Bahr I think still does repairs but it isn't his full time business. Last email I had for him [email protected]

3. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

You may be better off just purchasing a couple of used (but presumably working) units off eBay. At the very worse, at least you’ll have spare parts available and a local generic electronic repair shop might be willing to try a repair.

4. williammoore

williammoore Auditioning

William Moore
    OK, thanks! Maybe I'll get in touch.

5. williammoore

williammoore Auditioning

William Moore
    Thanks for the tip and there are a lot of players on Ebay, but as you say, it's a crap shoot. I'm looking though.

6. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil

Kurtis is excellent. I lived about 40 minutes from him before I moved just under 4 years back. I had him come over my house one time to decide which player to go with. I sold my LDs and 2 players (Elite 79 and Pioneer 704, which are essentially the same player), key spare parts (e.g. spindle motor) and my 130-140 LDs almost a year back. Sold them cheap as they were just taking up space and I had not used them in a bit (they worked perfectly though). I've re-bought a few of the titles I had on LD and I'm sure I'll re-buy a few more.

7. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    My player just bit the big one just as I was getting back into it, so I bought a "new" one that also plays DVDs off eBay; I'm interested to see if they look better there and upconverted on my external upconverter than the PS4's internal upconverter. It won't be here for a few weeks because it's coming from Japan. I'll try to see if anyone in the Monterey Bay, San Jose or San Francisco bay areas (if it comes to that) can save my existing unit, but I'm not optimistic. It kept getting the "U1" error for everything.

8. David Norman

David Norman Producer

The U1 error message seems to be one of the more common error messages
    From memory and what I can find it can be something as bad as a dying spindle motor or dead laser mech not being about to read the disc
    to something as simple a broken/slipping belt or belt coming off the pulley so the disc won't spin or can't get up to speed so
    the laser can read properly.

Most commonly in the past I'd take the top cover off and watch what happened when I tried to start up a disc -- did is spin at all or
    spin way too slow, would a CD work but not a LD, If the player has been inactive for a while the belt could have rotted or all the lubricant
    dried so possible an easy fix.

Kurtis might be able to walk you through some easy steps or might know of someone or a shop in the area. The only 2 folks that routinely did a lot of repairs were Kurtis in Virginia and a guy in Michigan. Years ago Duncan at Bayview in Washington state was pretty good, but the last 5-6 years I've heard nothing but horror stories. I looked over at LDDB.com, but couldn't come up with a Pioneer Shop anywhere.
    I'd honestly be shocked if that wasn't someone in the SF area with all the Tech People there that could do the work as long as it wasn't some no longer made parts.

9. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I'm not coming up with any reliable professional repair options, but I found a site that had this do-it-yourself option that costs nothing but the $5 it costs to replace a belt.

10. David Norman

David Norman Producer

If the belt is all you need, then that's about as simple a repair as there is. It probably takes longer to take all the screws in and put them back than to change the belt. The U1 error can be from a bunch of different problems though

11. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I opened the machine and found the problem: a label flaked off a 30+ year old disc and was covering up the laser! Taking it out solved the problem completely.

12. mark brown

mark brown Stunt Coordinator

an electrical storm knocked out both of my 1998 players sometime this past spring. I am sure it is a fuse but have no idea how to replace