Pioneer ISO speakers evaluation, anybody?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jacek p, Nov 10, 2001.

1. jacek p

jacek p Agent

I am considering Pioneer ISO speakers family for my budget system. Consumer Report labeled SDF3K (two way with 8" woofer) as #1 ranking in bookshelf category. I read good evaluations of SDC1K center (3 way with 5 1/4" woofer). Nobody in town carries them so i cannot evaluate for myself.
    Thanks in advance,
    ------------------
    jacek

2. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

jacek,
    I think this series of Pioneer speakers is still available from Crutchfield. Crutchfield has a 30 day return policy and they even pay for return shipping. I am considering these speakers as well, just hasn't had a chance to try them out.

3. jacek p

jacek p Agent

Danny,
    Etronics.com has S-DF3-K for $145 a pair, according to my research. When Consumer Report ranked them as #1 bookshelf speakers, they reported ratail price of $350, which prevented them from calling it Best Buy, IMHO.

4. jacek p

jacek p Agent

Finely, after some complications, I received a delivery of Pioneer speakers S-DF3-K ($145 a pair plus shipping). They are powered by Kenwood VR509 ($289 plus shipping) and work together with Sony subwoofer SM40 ($149), Pioneer S-DC1-K center ($99), and S-DS1-H wall mountable surrounds ($79 a pair). You will be surprised how great sound you can buy for so little money.

I would never buy tiny speakers for front, like some of the systems in the box have. On the other hand, buying large expensive tower fronts is a total waste of money nowadays, when you can delegate low frequency to a subwoofer (I am pleased with a way Kenwood does it).

Pioneers look great and sound great. I detect no coloration (S-DF1-K with smaller driver supposedly have some), bass handling is nice for a book shelf. High frequency is not as bright as in my JBL book shelf with titanium tweeter, but is more precise and clean.

People, these speakers are gems. Too bad general community here wont be able to overcome Pioneer prejudice.