What's new

Pioneer Introduces The DV-47Ai and DV-45A (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Bob, if the chroma bug on the '47A bothers you, perhaps you should return it. You could always get the Panasonic DVD-RP91 or Denon DVD-1600 for around $500. Neither show the chroma bug and both are compatible with the DVD-Audio format. Then for $325, you could get the Sony SCD-C222ES five-disc SACD/CD carousel changer from Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480). I realize this would give you two components for SACD and DVD-Audio instead of one, but the two components could very well serve you better than the '47A. The 'C222ES is a very capable SACD and CD player. Plus, you get the convenience of a changer and the five-year ES warranty.

Bob Barton

Grip
Keith,

Yes, that's a thought. I wouldn't mind the extra component, but my receiver only has one multi channel in so I would also need a way to feed two 5.1s down to one. This adds another $200 (I believe) or so into the equation. The all in one is a nice concept.

Although I really noticed the chroma bug in Toy Story, I haven't really noticed it in other movies yet. I've only watched a few so far though. I don't know if it's a deal breaker yet, it just kind of bugs me that an $800 player has this problem. I'll give it another week and then decide.

I appreciate the input!

Bob

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Bob, no problem at all. I have the same problem as you in that my A/V receiver has just one set of multi-channel inputs. As background, I have a Technics DVD-A10 for for multi-channel DVD-Audio and a Sony SCD-C555ES for multi-channel SACD. To get around the limitation of my receiver, I bought two A/V switch boxes from Radio Shack to switch between the two multi-channel audio components. The part number for the switch box is 15-1952, and one switch box is just $15. Each switch box has inputs for two sources and one output. The two inputs and one output have three RCA jacks, which are intended for left and right audio and composite video. These boxes work very well for switching between the two multi-channel audio components. I have not observed degradation of the audio, even with both components turned on. You should be able to find these switch boxes at your local Radio Shack. Finally, search this board for '15-1952' to see how I and others are using the switch boxes for this application.

Bob Barton

Grip
Keith,

Hmmm, $30 would not be too bad. And no degradation of the signal? That sounds like a better answer than the $200 solution I read about! I'll check into it.

It sounds like some new player will be coming out soon in the $300 - $400 range that will not have the chroma bug and do a good job on DVD-A. That would leave plenty left for the Sony! Decisions, decisions! That's what makes this hobby fun - trying new stuff!

Thanks,
Bob

GeorgeC

Agent
Bob,
I have the $30 Radio Shack solution, and it does work well, but keep in mind you need to buy 18 cables to make the thing work (as opposed to 6 on the universal player.) The cables alone can easily add up to $200 more (not to mention way, way more than that depending on the cables!) I'm not trying to knock the Radio Shack solution, I've got it - I'm just trying to be realistic.
Now, if only Sony could add DVD-A to the SCD-555es (I know I'm just dreaming, but we really do need good universal players at a variety of price points).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
George said:
Now, if only Sony could add DVD-A to the SCD-555es
:laugh: That's a good one! Just kidding with you. ;) I agree that we need more affordable universal players. However, there is a better chance of me making and selling one than Sony. :)

Doug_B

Screenwriter
...but keep in mind you need to buy 18 cables to make the thing work (as opposed to 6 on the universal player.) The cables alone can easily add up to $200 more (not to mention way, way more than that depending on the cables!)
Thank you for mentioning this.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
The extra set of cables needed when using the switch boxes is a good point. It's a trade-off for the convenience of the inexpensive Radio Shack switch boxes. Depending on the cables you are used to using, it is possible to gain the convenience of the switch boxes without going broke.

I have a question for people who own separate DVD-Audio and SACD players and use them with a pre/pro or receiver with just one set of multi-channel inputs. Do you use one set of cables and switch them in the back of the players each time you want to switch formats or do you have two sets of cables and switch them in the back of the pre/pro or receiver? If you are doing the latter, then the switch boxes only require one more set of cables.

My home-theater set-up is relatively mid-fi (Sony STR-V444ES receiver and Energy e:XL speakers). As a result, I did not spend big money on cables for multi-channel audio. I am using Monster Interlink 400mkII cables for SACD and Radio Shack Gold Series cables for DVD-Audio and between the switch boxes and the receiver. The Radio Shack cables weren't too expensive. The only reason I am using the Monster cables is that I already had them in the house when I got the switch boxes.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I'll betcha:
Within the same time frame that companies like Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, etc, offer reasonably priced universal players, that Sony will too.
Know why?
Because Sony is a company just like any other, and companies are in business to make money. :)
Know what I'd like to see? An ES universal player from Sony that doesn't have the chroma bug, that weighs ~20 lbs, and goes for about $1000. I'd get over my anti-Sony sentiment fot that. :D

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
Well, if Sony is in business to make money, why don't they offer hybrid SACD disks. I refuse to buy anything Sony until they stop trying to wrench every penny out of the consumer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks