What's new

Pioneer Introduces The DV-47Ai and DV-45A (1 Viewer)

Jeff Williams

Stunt Coordinator
The DV-47Ai and DV-45A will be available in fall of 2002 at a suggested retail price of $1200 and $700 respectively.
Pioneer's Home Entertainment Division is the leading manufacturer of plasma and projection televisions, DVD players and DVD recorders, A/V receivers, CD players and CD recorders, speakers and other audio and video accessories. Its focus is on the development of new digital technologies including Digital Network Entertainment. The company markets its products under the Pioneer and Pioneer Elite brand names. When purchased from an authorized dealer, consumers receive a limited warranty for one year with Pioneer products and two years with Pioneer Elite products.
Pioneer Corporation (NYSE: PIO) is a leader in optical disc technology and a preeminent manufacturer of high-performance audio, video, computer and cable television equipment for the home, car and business markets. The company focuses on four core business domains including DVD, display technologies, Digital Network Entertainment(TM) and components. Founded in 1938 in Tokyo, Pioneer Corporation employs more than 31,000 people worldwide. Its shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: PIO). Pioneer Electronics' headquarters is located in Long Beach, Calif., and its U.S. Web address is http://www.pioneerelectronics.com .
For further information, please contact Aaron Levine of Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc., +1-310-952-2401, [email protected] or Julie Jaqua, +1-323-761-7405, [email protected] for Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.
Incredible!! I think I will wait until the fall to upgrade.
Jeff

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, thanks for sharing the news. I hadn't heard that one. So, it looks like the '47Ai will replace the '47A. I hope Pioneer upgrades the build quality in going to the new model. It could be that Pioneer will just use the same chassis and upgrade the innards. Time will tell. The '45A clearly will be a scaled-back version of the '47A/'47Ai, which is very cool. I can't wait to see these players.

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
I had heard that the 47Ai will be basically identical to the 47A except for the firewire port but maybe it will offer some other enhancements. I will be interested to see if this port will output DSD from SACDs as well as MLP from DVD-As.

Anyone know what a "Trick play processor (smooth scan)" is?

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Jeff,

Thanks for the heads-up info! I can't recall how the 47A turned out regarding the chroma upsampling error (chroma bug)and if it auto-switches to interlaced on non-anamorphics for us lock-in-full Elite RPTV owners.

If the 47Ai has no C-Bug and auto-switches then I have a buy decision to make - the Pany RP82, or the Philips 963SA, or the 47Ai!?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
bass management
On *all* 5.1 analog output sources? Didn't the 47A only have bass management for DD and DTS but not for DVD-A and SACD?
Dang: dilema. Was all set to pull the trigger on a 47A and the Outlaw 950 on Sept 15th. (Didn't want early production run examples of either.) Now, do I wait for either one of these puppies to "mature" ?
The original 47a did reportedly have the chroma bug.
Another "dang" ! Pioneer is on the THIRD rev of their universal player. Most companies? Still at ZERO... Go Pioneer! (Hee, hee, I have a DV-05. :) )

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
I noticed that these new units will supposedly use Burr Brown DACs while the original 47A used Crystal Semiconductor DACS (AFAIK). I was under the impression that the Crystal chipset was the only one that could deal with both PCM and DSD without conversion. Maybe these Burr Brown chips are new? Can one of the Secrets folks (John? Stacey?) clarify this for me?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I was under the impression that Pioneer had always used Burr Brown DACs. That's why they always tested so well for jitter...

CD players, DVD players, and even CD-R/RW units...

??

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
I've read in several places that the originial 47A uses Crystal DACs so I'm pretty certain of that. I've found a thread that helps shed some light on the matter. It appears Burr Brown is indeed making DACs that will convert both PCM and DSD streams. I wonder why they made the switch- for marketability to audiophiles, or because of actual performance differences?

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
I have the DV-47A but have a question about the soon to be released DV-47AI. I don't know that much about firewire ports. What do they do & what advantage would it give me over the current DV-47A.

The press release says, "It can be further enhanced this fall when combined with Pioneer's VSX-49TXi, with its dual i.Link inputs that will enable the DV-47Ai to be used to its fullest potential." I'm not sure what firewire ports & i.Link connections do.

Jeff Williams

Stunt Coordinator
Stan,

The firewire ports will allow for the digital transfer of DVD-A and SACD from the player to the receiver. Currently, this has to be done with six analog outputs from the player to six analog inputs on the receiver. I'm sure there will be more benefits too.

Jeff

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
So, it looks like Pioneer is looking to have its '47Ai/'49TXi combo compete with Denon's '9000/'5803 combo by having a digital connection for high-resolution sources. A key difference, of course, is that the '9000 doesn't play SACDs. In addition, the '47Ai won't be as high-end as the '9000 overall. Finally, initial reports stated that Denon's digital link didn't work properly. Pioneer could really have something if it does it right.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
If the 47Ai has no C-Bug and auto-switches then I have a buy decision to make
Phil,
If the 47Ai is has the same video processing as the 47a then the bug is still there. In fact i have read that Pioneer has no plans to address the bug because they believe"most People" can't see it. Unfortunately I do see it and can not live with it. The features on these new units look great but if the bug is there, I will be getting the RP82.

Regards,
Dalton

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
Phil I have the DV-47A hooked up to a 65" Pioneer Elite Pro-710 & I can't seen the supposed chroma bug on the player even blown up on a T.V. that large. It gives a super clear picture that is 3 dimensional in progressive scan.

Demo the 47AI when it comes out to see if you notice it. A lot of people can't see it.

Bob Barton

Grip
Stan,

I thought the same as you when I first started using the 47A, that is until I watched Toy Story. The chroma bug really shows up there. I also have the Panasonic RP56 to compare against and it's really amazing what a difference there is, at least with Toy Story.

I first tried to see the bug with Fifth Element, but could not see it. I looked in the recommended spots, but didn't notice it.

Now to decide what to do with the 47! I have two weeks to decide. I like it for DVD-A, have not tried SACD and it looks OK for video. In fact certain DVD-V look very good! It's just for 800 can I do better?

Bob

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
Bob I have watched Toy Story several times & I still don't notice it. Previously I had an Elite DV-38A that people say had the chroma bug. I have watched Toy Story on that player several times also (it happens to be one of my favorite movies) & I didn't notice it on that player also.

I understand that some people can see it & some people don't. For the people that do, I hope Pioneer & other companies will eventually use a different MPEG decoder so you can enjoy movies the way that I do.

My advice to someone that likes what a player has to offer is demo the player. See if you can notice it. I am perfectly happy with the DV-47A. It does everything that I need - DVD video, DVD audio, SACD & MP3 - and it does it wonderfully. For the price you can't beat it.

I'm sure the DV-47AI will even do it better with the firewire ports.

The only thing that I wish that Pioneer would change is for the player to allow you to view a non-anamorphic movie with progessive on without squishing the picture if your T.V. locks in full mode with progessive on. Pioneer's answer to that is 16x9 compressed. It does give a beautiful picture & allows you to use progressive scan for non-anamorphic DVDs if your T.V. locks in full mode with progressive scan on but the picture is smaller than normal. It would be great to scale the picture to the normal size. Hopefully in the future they will include scaling. That would make it the perfect player for me.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Actualy the MPEG decoding chip is different on the 47AI but the deinterlacing is the same.
At least that was posted on the AVS forum.

Bob Barton

Grip
Stan,

If you have the opportunity to A/B compare the 47A to a player without the bug, I'm sure you will see the problem. Bright colors have jagged edges, especially red edges. I never saw the problem as drastic as is seen in certain Toy Story title screen shots, but its definitely there.

I've compared Fifth Element between the RP 56 and the 47A and both look very good, I just can't see the problem there. I wonder, just because it's pretty obvious on Toy Story, how much I will notice it in non-animated movies. I think Toy Story brings out the worst of the bug.

BTW, I am using a Mits 65819. I can still return it if I don't like it so I'm still not decided. I should probably try a SACD first.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread