What's new

Pioneer HTP-710 (1 Viewer)

Jason Lovely

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone heard anything about this home-theater-in-a-box system? I found it intersting, because it has support for DTS-ES, and it comes with six speakers plus the subwoofer.

Tim W G

Agent
I was looking at the same setup. I decided to buy everything seperate because I wanted better speakers. I bought the D850S receiver, the JBL NSP-1 and 2 Sony SA-WM40 12"subs. I spent about $200 more than the 710, but I got some great deals on all these components.

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator
actually, that is what i have in my upstairs HT, the speakers are great, however, you will need to get an upgraded center, thats what i did.
here is a pic of the center i went with.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...29,372,00.html
and besides, the price was not bad, I know a dealer who got me the products at his cost which was 400.00
the surrounds are very decent. better than what i expected.
Edit: not to mention they threw in the 8" powered sub. not the 6 1/2...

Jason Lovely

Stunt Coordinator
I don't understand why the specs say it only supports DTS-ES Matrix surround. Since it has six channels, why wouldn't it support DTS-ES Discrete surround? Also, is the warranty void if you don't buy it from an authorized dealer?

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator
the distributor can always receive the merchandise back as long as it hasn't been more than 1 year. also, i need to read up on that, i was under the impression it was 6.1 discrete, i watched T2 limited edition which is DTS ES Discrete during a scene in the movie, i could here the rear independently from the rear surr.

Jason Lovely

Stunt Coordinator
Do you think the 710 would be adequate for a 15' by 15' living room? The living room is open to the dining area as well as the kitchen (separated by a bar), so the actual open area is bigger than 15' by 15'.

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator
its a powerful system and it sounds great in my game room but its all enclosed. because your room has open space to other rooms you will lose some bass. The 5.1 i have downstairs is in a similar situation because i have the kitcken and its kinda like a bar opening, yet i still get really good lows because i placed the sofa close up against the back wall for a better sound. You shouldn't lose that much from the highs, check out this site before you decide to position your speakers so you can get the best possible sound.
http://www.dolby.com/ht/Guide.HomeTh...0110.html#s3.1

Jason Lovely

Stunt Coordinator
The speakers in the Kenwood HTB-544 have 4" woofers and 1" tweeters as opposed to the Pioneer 3" woofers and 3/4" tweeters. The center speaker in the Kenwood also seems better. Did you have a chance to compare the two systems?

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator
have not compared the Kenwood, I purchased mine because i couldn't pass up the deal, i may go back later and pick up some different surround sound speakers, remember the pioneer receiver is 100 x 6. Also, the pioneer is not really that user friendly, luckily i already had one. consider all these issues when deciding.

Jason Lovely

Stunt Coordinator
Why did you feel you needed to upgrade the center speaker? Does the one you bought mix well with the rest of the speakers? I really appreciate all your input.

Jason Lovely

Stunt Coordinator
One last question. :) Some of the reviews I've read have mentioned that the receiver runs very hot. Is this something I should worry about?

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator
basically the center is where you get about 90 to 95% of the actors voice. i needed it for clarity and distinct sound above and beyond the surrounds. try watching a movie and disconnecting the center, all you get is the surroundings, not the actual dialogue. unless of course someone is taking from another area like in the next room, then you can here it. i hope this helps..

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator
well, i have had it all of 2 weeks and it does tend to get a bit hot but the one downstairs, ive had it for 1 1/2 yrs. and no problems. i do keep my place pretty cool so that may help, you can always use a small fan to cool it but i don't know if you want to go through the trouble. anyways, i hope you get what you want.

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator
I went with 14 gauge white, insulated because I ran them in the attic and the insulation protects them from scuffing. now its not like there is much movement up there but I like to be cautious. i choose white to blend in with the ceiling and walls. they tried to sell me brackets at radio shack for like 80 bucks for 2. thats crazy... I bought some L brackets at Home Depot for a buck a piece and rigged it myself. looks decent too.

Jason Lovely

Stunt Coordinator
I'm gonna have to run the cable along the ceiling from the back wall to the front. Does brand/shielding matter? Also, would it be better to mount all the speakers on the wall or put them on stands?

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator
I really don't think your going to get that much interference so regular wire is fine. as far as the placement of the speakers, refer to the dolby page i sent you. also, i feel that i placed them too high, on the diagram it shows that they should be just above ear level while your sitting. but a word of advise that was passed to me when i asked the same question, if it sounds good then thats all that matters. :)

Jason Lovely

Stunt Coordinator
I've looked on that Dolby page before, and what I found particularly interesting was one of the alternative placement options they suggest; they suggest placing the surrounds on stands behind the couch, facing upward.

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator
yeah, i saw that too, i have my sofa against the wall so that wouldn't work.. but i like their position right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks