What's new

Pioneer HTIB (1 Viewer)

Ninam

Auditioning
Hello All! After surfing the net for quite some time yesterday looking for reviews, I came across your site. I'm looking for any opinions on the Pioneer HTZ-430DV HTIB.

Here's the scoop. Currently I have a pretty cheezy system, but hey it works. I've got a 5yr old Sony 27" TV, your basic Panasonic VCR, a Sony DVD with built-in decoding, and a Sony Bookshelf Stereo with no decoding but 5.1 inputs, including speakers. The Bookshelf system has been in for repair twice now and still is not working properly (no right channels and won't recognize a cd, and the Sony DVD has been giving me problems, so it's time for a new system. Ideally I would prefer to buy the components separately, but cash does not allow, so I'm opting for a HTIB. I've done some research online, and this seems like a pretty good system for the $. I can't find one bad review on it, but that's why I'm here. I'm hoping to either find someone with personal experience with the system or pick your brains!

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

Nina

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to HTF, Nina.

Since you're asking for feedback on a specific Pioneer HTiB model, I've moved your post to A/V Sources, where HTiBs get covered. The Basics area is for asking about the very concepts involved in home theater -- it's for people who need to ask, "What's an HTiB?"

Best of luck.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Ninam,

I also have settled on a Pioneer HTiB. I'm asking for the HTD-330DV for Christmas. Have only read positive reviews.

Peace,

DM

Ninam

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply Dave! That's what I found too, only positive info on the Pioneers. I was hoping someone here would have some experience with these systems! I hope Santa comes through for you!

Nina

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Ninam,

I got some money for Christmas and am ready to buy. I'm now considering the 430, but I've found some contradicting info. Does this system have an optical digital input or a coaxial digital input? I need optical.

Peace,

DM

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I'm around $300. It is for the bedroom and I have a very limited cabinet space to work with.

Peace,

DM

Ninam

Auditioning
Happy New Year All!

Thanks for the reply Scott! I bought this sytem just before Christmas from eTronics.com and paid less than $350, including shipping. I received the system in less than a week and couldn't be happier with it! It was the easiest hookup ever, took less than half an hour from the time I opened the box. The sound is awesome! I have a friend who paid $30,000 (yes 30 grand) for his system, including TV, speakers, preamp, bass engines, etc and this sytem isn't as powerful, but the sound is just as clear, definitive, and even he was impressed. I highly recommend this system to anyone considering it, or a more expensive HTIB!

Dave; Yes, it has coaxial digital input. Since you're looking for optical I don't think this will work for you. If you're not set on optical, then I recommend this system wholeheartedly! :)

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Thanks for your review Ninam. Glad to hear it is a good system. I figured Best Buy's website was wrong. I guess I could use one of these. Anybody ever used one of these coaxial / optical converters?

Peace,

DM

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Ninam,

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered the Pioneer HTZ-430DV HTiB from bestbuy.com. They had it on sale today for $299 with free shipping. I haven't found a better price than that so I went for it. I'll let you know when it arrives.

I decided to go with that unit b/c it gave me a little more room in my very limited cabinet than the HTD-330DV did.

Peace,

DM

Pandu Puthran

Auditioning
Ninam/Dave,

I am also planning to buy HTZ-430DV from bestbuy. I would like to know some information regarding that from you.

1. Is HTZ-430DV supports PAL and NTSC?
2. What is the weight of the total system, bestbuy website says 24lbs, is it valid?
3. Is HTZ-430DV has file system display or menu screens for mp3 and jpg viewing.

Your inputs are highly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Pandu,

1. Not sure. I'll look at the documentation that will come with the unit and let you know.

2. Again, I'll let you know when it arrives. Should be here on Thursday or Friday. UPS says the ship weight is 47 lbs, FYI.

3. I'll look when it comes.

Peace,

DM

Ninam

Auditioning
Pandu, I have my Owner's manual at home, and will bring it in tomorrow to try to answer your questions. As for the weight of the total system, without checking the owner's manual, I would have to say 24 lbs is valid. But I will double check that.

Dave, I hope you enjoy your system as much as I am enjoying mine. A few weeks later, and I still stand by my original review. Awesome system!

:) Nina

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Well, this is a very nice system for $299. FWIW, I checked Best Buy's website today and the price is back up to $399 for this unit. Glad I bought when I did.

Pandu, here are the answers to your questions:

1. I see nothing in the set up menu nor the documentation that says the 430DV supports PAL.

2. The receiver unit by itself weighs 16 lbs, 6 oz.

3. I have only viewed jpegs so far, but it does have a file system display. The views can change from file names w/ a thumbnail of one pic, a photo browser w/ 9 thumbnails at a time, and then full view of each picture sequentially. Hope this makes sense.

I have a lot of tweaking to do, but here are my initial thoughts:

*I'm not real happy that this thing is a single disc unit. Pioneer's website says that it is a 5 disc changer and it is NOT. As a result, most of the retailer's websites say it is a 5 disc changer b/c I'm sure they are going off of Pioneer's info. BE WARNED: This is a single disc unit unless I've really missed something. Best Buy's website actually has it right, but I'm curious if it did when I bought it.

*Build of the unit is very nice and solid. Speakers are nicer and heavier than the average speaker for a HTiB. Front display is simple. Low profile and very sleek looking. I like the fact that they have included long speaker cords. Hook up and set up was easy.

*The sound from all the speakers is really impressive. Very nice and warm. I expected bright and harsh, but this is not the case. Using Avia's 5 channel DD pan, the transitions from speaker to speaker were very smooth. By tweaking the channel levels I was able to get the pan to register less than 1db variation between channels. The "virtual surround back" setting worked nicely in mimicking an EX/ES mix.

*The sub is a little muddy, but I'm still tweaking the settings. It is not a powered sub, but I am happy with crossover transition. In the Avia LFE test, the sub cut out around 30 Hz, very close to where it is rated in the spec sheet.

*Speaking of tweaking, this thing has a lot of different settings, each of which are input specific. I set the DVD to "Auto," TV to "ProLogic II" and CD to "5 Channel Stereo." This unit remembers the settings of each of these which is nice. The channel levels are global and not input specific which is not a problem.

*The jpeg viewer is real slow in loading pics and I haven't found out if the transition time can be shortened. Seems like there is not enough CPU power to quickly move through the files on a disc. Have not tested any other type file, but I did discover that it plays Windows Media AUDIO files, not Windows Media AUDIO/VIDEO files. The documentation is correct on this, I just didn't realize it.

*The remote is great. Easy to use, passed the wife test, and controlled my TV right off the bat.

I'm still playing with it, but so far I'm very pleased for what I paid.

Peace,

DM

Pandu Puthran

Auditioning
Dave,
Thanks for your detailed review on the product and answering my questions.

I have inquired with pioneer customer service regarding PAL support, they have confirmed that pioneer units doesn't support PAL.

I need PAL support as well, so I am going to look for someother HTiB like Panasonic SC-HT700 which has PAL support.

Thanks again
Pandu

Chris-R

Auditioning
Howdy.

I too am in the market for a bedroom HTiB. Based on your feedback with regards to the Pioneer line, I am considering a Pioneer HTD-530DV. For those that have the HTZ-430DV, can the satellites be mounted on the wall?

My one concern with this system is that passive subwoofer. I don't have any experience with them, but it just sounds sub-par...

Thanks!
/chris

Ninam

Auditioning
Hi Chris! Yes, the satellites can be mounted on the wall, that's what I have done with mine. As for your concern with the subwoofer, sub-par it is not! I have my sub set to the lowest setting, and it still rattles the pictures on the walls. I dare say, you should quite pleased with this systems performance!

Nina

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks