What's new

Pioneer encouraging casual pirating?!? (1 Viewer)

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Well, I was on the Pioneer website looking at the latest wares (the new super slim receivers and the VSX-41 all look like crud, but that's just my opinion) when I saw this product description for the PDR-W37 CD-recording device:
If you've been borrowing CD's from friends but haven't wanted the hassle of recording them, check this: the Elite PDR-W37 is both a 3-disc CD changer and recorder...
:eek: :eek:
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
:eek: :eek:
Recording CDs that you are borrowing from a friend. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a little outside the scope of "Fair Use"! I think that RIAA would positively SH*T themselves if they saw that webpage.
For those of you who are curious, you can see it here.
-Lyle J.P.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Yes, it sure does sound like they're encouraging copying others' CDs as an alternative to repeating borrowing. Wonder on what planet the writer of this lives. Hopefully, this was a single person's mistake and not something endorsed by many at Pioneer. I wonder if non-web printed material for this unit also has words to this effect.

Doug

MikhailL

Grip
That's what we need, users confusing and scaring manufacturers! Isn't there the whole music industry lobby for it?

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
Sounds like somebody slipped this past the legal department. We'd never get away with this where I work.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
That's pretty funny. It will be interesting to see if someone catches it and changes it.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
About 90% of the commercials or print ads I've seen for recording technology (ROM burners, stand-alone burners, media, etc) from reputable manufactureres endores some kind of illegal activity through the actions the people are performing, even if the ad never states "use this device to burn you friends CDs instead of buying them". Gateway was running commercials for the longest time where new gateway owners were downloading music off the internet and burning it to CDs. I suppose Gateway's legal department would say they're downloading music they already own.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Not all the music available on the internet is posted in violation of the owner's copyright.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Gateway was running commercials for the longest time where new gateway owners were downloading music off the internet and burning it to CDs. I suppose Gateway's legal department would say they're downloading music they already own.
There is a SHITLOAD of legit downloadable music on the internet. Check out Link Removed for some great stuff. Or look at www.mp3.com and others.
This Pioneer web site - I don't know what to say... ":eek:" ndeed.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I never said that there wasnt legit free music on the web, but the commercials' tone is that you can burn whatever you want. I think its a bit irresponsible for companies to portray one thing but expect another out of its customers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks