Pioneer Elites.........a few questions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DerekM, Jan 15, 2003.

1. DerekM

DerekM Agent

Okay, so I am finally in the market for a new receiver, and I know I am coming to the right place for advice. There are so many different features out there, it's hard to keep them all straight. I have researched all I can, and have found a few models that stand out to me. Particularly, the Pioneer Elite VSX-41 http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...,71338,00.html , the Kenwood VR-6070, and the JVC RX-8020VBK (in that order), which are all in the same price range. There are certain features that I like on each unit: The only real reason that I'm considering the JVC is because of the USB connection on the front, as I have many mp3's and my computer is in the room behind the theater (This would be AWESOME). I have read quite a few reviews on the Kenwood, all of which have been positive. It has THX certification (which, I know, doesn't mean it's better quality). And, finally, the Pioneer Elite........Is this a true 7.1 receiver? Can it play 7.1 out of the box, or is it just 7.1 capable? I've searched and searched the forums (here, AVS, hometheaterspot, etc), audioreview.com, epinions, dealtime, nextag, and can't find but a couple reviews........WHY??? Is this not a quality receiver?? Anyways, I was thinking of pairing it to the Pioneer Elite A-35R http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...,92283,00.html integrated amplifier for more power. I like the aesthetic appeal of the Elites, and in the past have heard very good things about them. Are there any others that have USB connectivity that I haven't mentioned? What about the possiblility of new models hitting sales floors soon......when is that likely to happen?? And, lastly, with the emergence of DVD-audio, what do I need to have to be compatible with that format? Thanks for any and all responses, I really appreciate it!

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I wouldn't waste the money on the Pioneer vsx41 there are only a couple things different from this model and the 811 that to me are not worth it.

The VSX41 is/has
    1) considered Elite
    2) LCD remote
    3) 110 watts
    4) Re-Eq

3. charles mix

charles mix Stunt Coordinator

The Kenwood is a very nice unit. I had it for sometime before I upgraded to some other equipment (always upgrading). The sound was clean and rich. I think the processor is on par with anything out there. The THX Cert does mean that it will play clean and loud. Between the three you have mentioned, I would go with the Kenwood, more inputs than the Pioneer and better sounding than the JVC. Good luck hope this helps.