Pioneer Elite VSX21 Addition...(Kit281s, MonoBlock Amps, etc.)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Adam O, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Adam O

Adam O Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I currently have a Pioneer Elite AV receiver powering my Energy C2s and AC-300. I am planning to build kit281s this summer for my fronts/centre and a pair of Kit81s for the rears. I think before that I would like to change my amp situation. I am not sure If I should

a) Buy 5 Mono block Amps-like 5 Marantz 500 Amps(used). I would then use the VSX21 as a preamp.

b)Sell the Receiver and buy a new receiver only.

Im not sure which would be a better idea. I think I would get a lot more power if I got an array of MonoBlocks then a new receiver; even if it had 120+watts/channel.

Another concern I have is matching the sound of the Adire Speakers with the right amp. I want to pick the right receiver or monoblocks so as to highlight the adire speakers good qualities etc.

Thanks Alot for your time.

Oh btw, I should say I would like to keep costs under $1000CND.

Adam

2. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

The Kit281s will take whatever you throw at them but a solid 100-200wpc is plenty to drive them.

3. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

BTW I used to have some Kit281s and I drove them with a 900 watt QSC amp and a Sony ES receiver that put out a good 120wpc. For the most part they both sounded excellent and both had plenty of power to drive the speakers to very loud volumes.

Now I am using a Yamaha RX-V3300 and I had some Parasound monoblocks for my mains, after doing some A/B testing I found that the Parasounds did not sound different or more powerful. I sold the monoblocks because they cluttered up everything too much.

I'd never go for 5 monoblocks because of the wiring mess they would cause.

I just checked and $1000 Canadian is about $757 USD....(dang your dollar has gotten stronger eh!?)

If I were you i'd just buy a nice stout receiver, you should be able to get a nice one for your budget or maybe a tad more.

4. Adam O

Adam O Stunt Coordinator

Alright then,

I think going with the mono blocks is not the way to go. So I guess I will just by a new receiver.

What do you think I should try and get for the VSX-21; its about 2.5 years old now, but its still a new little receiver. I hope I can get over 250CND for it. Or am I dreaming?

Thanks alot.

Adam