What's new

Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH vs. Denon 3808CI: Decision Time (2 Viewers)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I've narrowed down my choices for a new replacement receiver to the Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH or Denon 3808CI. I'm coming from a Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX that has been a rock solid unit in my rack for over 6 years. I need an HDMI 1.3 unit for the new HD surround formats, though, so the time to upgrade is finally here. Just wondering if anyone had an opinion as to which of the aforementioned receivers is the best and if there are any known negatives about either unit that I should be aware of. They can be had within around $100 of each other so price is definitely not a factor. On paper they seem to be pretty similar and I've learned a lot about the 3808 from Ron's review and post at the top of this forum. I'm still a big Pioneer Elite fan, however, and I'm just wondering if I'll be as happy with the Denon as I've been with my 47TX. Any suggestions or input would definitely be appreciated. Thanks!!! :)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
OK, well after posting this, I realized that I left a very viable candidate out of this equation: the Yamaha RX-V3800. So, instead of trying to decide between two very capable receivers, the field has now expanded to three. As before, any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

keithVANhorn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Steinmetz
Ever thought of this... keep the 47tx, get a HDMI switcher, and run 7.1 analog outs from HDDVD/BL player for audio? That's what I would do. Just an idea. (Assuming the players you have/want to get have 7.1 channel analog audio out of course) If not, then (removes foot from mouth) ignore this idea ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Brent,
I don't think you can go wrong with any of those choices. I own the Denon-4308 and I'm very happy with it. I will most likely buy another receiver later this year to upgrade my bedroom HT and will definitely be looking at the Denon-3808 or Yamaha-3800.

Crawdaddy

fst96se

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn B
I recently was struggling with the same decision. I had previously owned an Elite 82 some time ago. I have had seaparates lately, but was really drawn to HBR audio over HDMI and very drawn to the Denon for the GUI and firmware updates via ethernet.

I got the Denon in my rack, and found that sonically, it was definately not for me. I picked up a 94TXH a few days later, and found it to be a much better match for my tastes.

That said, I have an Integra 9.8 Pre/Pro coming (I use an Emotiva DMC-1 amp). If sounds as good as the Pioneer, it will be staying. It has alot of features I need for my theater application that the Elite doesn't.

I run a risk doing this, because the Elite has proven itself to me sonically.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks