Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX is best kept secret in receiver market!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent M, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Brent M

Brent M Producer

I'm just posting this message to inform others about a great piece of equipment that isn't mentioned very much around here--the Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX THX Ultra2 Receiver. I know that the reason for this is because its big brother(the 49TX) is the flagship of the line and gets all the attention. For the money, however, the 47TX is a great piece of equipment that sounds just as good as the 49TX with only a few less features. I got this receiver for $1695 while I would have had to pay $2425 for the 49TX. I used the extra $730 to buy a SVS 20-39 PC+ subwoofer and I couldn't be happier with the new set-up. I realize that the 49TX offers some upgrades over the 47TX(touchscreen remote, component video switching, advanced MCACC, etc.) but these were not major selling points for me as I was just concerned with sound quality. The 47TX has exceeded my expectations in this area. I was using a Yamaha RX-V2095 which I thought was an excellent receiver(technically it was a few years ago). When I changed over to the 47TX, though, I heard things in my system that I had never heard before. I always thought people who made that statement were full of it, but now I realize it's actually true that a great new piece of equipment can really open up the sound field. I added the 2 back surround speakers to the system for THX Ultra2 sound and it really does make a difference. I don't think I could ever go back to 5.1 again after watching DVDs with a 7 speaker configuration.
    Anyway, I'm not here to sell this piece of equipment to anyone(that's a job for a salesman), but if you're looking for a great new receiver and don't want to spend over $2000, there is no better choice than the 47TX. If you have any questions or comments, please post them and I'll do my best to respond.

Brent

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I'm glad to hear you are happy with the Pioneer. In the past I was never very impressed with their receiver offerings compared to Yamaha and Denon, but with the current line-up, I think they have jumped ahead of the pack.

I recently picked up a 45TX which I use as a pre/pro(it replaced a Yamaha, as well)and I couldn't be happier with the results. It really opened things up for music & movies and the Air Studios Sound Tuning helped with some problems I was having with the room.

I just ordered my surround back speakers, so I should have them set-up in a couple of weeks. Even though the 45 doesn't have Ultra 2, it'll be nice to fill the hole in the back due to placement issues with my surrounds.

I share your enthusiasm for the Elites. Pioneer really put together some great receivers in the last year.

DJ

3. Colin Banfield

How's the MCACC in the 49TX different from that in the 47TX or 45TX?

4. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

5. Jason Caudill

Jason Caudill Stunt Coordinator

David,
    What kind of amp are you using with your 45? I have just ordered mine and am wondering if I should keep my Rotel amp or sell it. If there is not a pretty sizeable difference then I will probably sell it.

6. Brent M

Brent M Producer

The MCACC in the 47TX uses a microphone that is located inside the remote control while the 49TX has a separate microphone for this function. Also, you can adjust the equalizer settings in the 49TX, but not in the 47TX. From what I've heard, however, the MCACC does such an accurate job that you shouldn't need to touch the equalizer settings anyway. As for the additional 2 surround back speakers in Ultra2 mode, it makes a bigger difference than I ever expected. I'd read comments from people who said the added speakers didn't make a difference and that they thought 5.1 actually sounded better than 7.1--I don't think anything could be farther from the truth. You can actually hear effects directly in back of you now rather than off to the sides in the traditional 5.1 set-up. Using di-poles for the surround sides and monopoles for the surround backs is the best way to do it in my opinion. Once you hear a movie in Ultra2 mode, you would never want to go back to a traditional 5.1 set-up. It's pretty awesome!

Brent

7. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Jason,

I'm using a Sunfire Cinema Grand(200x5), so I will only need the receiver's amps for the two center surrounds. I would definitely keep the Rotel if I were you--it'll make a difference.

You are in for a real treat with the 45. I'm amazed how good it sounds for a unit in its price range. Be sure to give us your impressions after you get it set-up and fine tuned.

DJ

8. Joe Schwartz

Joe Schwartz Second Unit

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Another happy 47TX owner here. A couple of comments regarding this receiver:

1) The 47TX does have HD-compatible component video switching. The only difference is that the 49TX performs video conversion from composite & s-video to component, while the 47TX does not.

2) While the equalizer parameters from the MCACC are not adjustable in the 47TX, this auto-calibration feature did a wonderful job in smoothing out some room response issues I was having. Without additional analysis equipment, it would be difficult to improve on the 47TX's MCACC settings, IMO.

3) The center channel performance on the 47TX is a very noticable improvement over my previous receiver, a Sony DA50ES (which was a very competent performer). Dialog is clearer and more natural.

4) I have also added two rear center speakers and have really enjoyed the 7.1 processing. The additional rear speakers do fill in the rear soundstage very well on a lot of the soundtracks (even standard 5.1 tracks). A few of the soundtracks encoded for a rear center channel, such as Lord Of The Rings and Blade 2, are a real treat.

5) In my case, the upgraded remote that comes with the 49TX was a non-issue, since I use a dedicated universal remote (Marantz RC2000 MKII) for my main HT. I know a lot of other HTF members have dedicated remotes -- the Prontos are very popular around here.

I purchased this receiver back in January, so the 45TX was not an option (it was not even announced back then). If I was purchasing today, I would probably strongly consider that model with the idea of adding external amps at a later date, but the 47TX with its more powerful amps would still be in the mix. I do not regret buying the 47TX. It provides excellent sound quality, and has enough amplifier power for my needs.

10. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Are these Pioneers good for music too? As compared to a higher end H/K or Marantz.

11. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

Hi!

12. Navid

Navid Agent

I love the new Elite line.

I actually have the 47TX, but I will tell those who are looking for a lower priced receiver and are considering Denon 3802/3803 or HK.. I would strongly recommend the VSX-45TX... I think it kills anything in its class.

Of course I definitely prefer the 47 and 49!

13. Ron Newsome

Ron Newsome Stunt Coordinator

Brae said:
    Where did you get that from? I've read alot of info on the 49 and 47 but I never read that. I thought the 47tx analyzed and adjusted only 5 bands.

14. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

The 47's a great value. I've got a 49tx and love it, but for me, the component up-conversion was a big deal. made it a lot easier to run the cable and just all around easier to deal with.

15. Joe Schwartz

Joe Schwartz Second Unit

Ron, I got it from Pioneer's Japanese site, which describes the differences between the AX8 and AX10 receivers. Here's how Babelfish translated the footnote about equalizer bands: