Pioneer Elite VSX-41& A-35R

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DerekM, Jan 16, 2003.

1. DerekM

DerekM Agent

I'm contemplating a new receiver purchase, and would like your opinion. My current receiver is running hot, and I don't know how much longer it will last (Technics SA-DX730 paired with SH-AC500D). It (the receiver only) overloads and turns off when I try to play a CD. Anyways, I'm currently interested in the Pioneer Elite VSX-41, paired with the A-35R integrated amplifier. I understand that this receiver is 7.1 capable......what will I have to purchase to get 7.1??? Is this a quality receiver, in comparison to other receivers in the market in the same price range (400-500.00)? I can get both of these for under 600, so I'm not really looking to spend any more. Is the A-35 supposed to amplify only the mains, or am I wrong......What would be the benefit of purchasing the amplifier in addition to the receiver? I can't find a picture of the back of the unit. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

2. charles mix

charles mix Stunt Coordinator

If you like the pioneer, go with the 811, virtually the same as the 41Elite. I think the Kenwood 6070 is one the best receiver out there now for the money. I used mine with an outboard amp and it sounded very good. You will have to have amplification for the rears if you want the 7.1 stuff. The Kenwood provides amplification for the 7.1 so you could use the Kenwoods amp to run the two extra rears. Good luck.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The Pioneer 811S isn't virtually the same as the Elite 41, it's EXACTLY the same. Same internal hardware, same display (other than color), same inputs, same outputs, same processing (other than RE-EQ), and the same power/amps (despite the spec'ed 110 x 6 of the 41). The only actual differences are the 41 has RE-EQ (pointless) and the spiff gloss black front face.
    The Pioneer also has amplification for the rears. Either would make a great Pre-Pro. You might also want to look into the Harman Kardon 320, 325, and the Sony 2ES. Any of these would make great Pre-Pro's. The HK's offer Logic7 which can be far superior to DPLII and NEO:6. The 2ES has the same great processing as the Sony 4ES and 7ES, but with scaled down amps/power-supplies.
    Hope this helps [​IMG]