pioneer elite tx-45

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by frank<t, Sep 24, 2003.

1. frank<t

frank<t Auditioning

I need some help!!! Im thinking about buying the pioneer elite tx-45receiver is there any pros/cons please help

2. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Probably most importantly that it's discontinued. Pro or con you decide.

I have the 53TX and am infinitely happy with it.

3. James USAF

James USAF Agent

I have the 45tx and love it. No draw back that I know of aside from what Drew said.

4. Steve F M

Steve F M Screenwriter

Best Receiver I have ever owned. Better then the Denon AVR-4802, Onkyo TX-DS898 both which cost alot more then the 45TX did.

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Mine will be a year old this December, best Xmas present I ever bought myself. Highly recommended but good luck finding one. The 53TX should be just as good.

6. Rick Lyon

Rick Lyon Stunt Coordinator

How would the VSX 53TX sound with Paradigms? I'm a little stuck on Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon or Onkyo. I currently have an Onkyo SR600 but I believe I have a problem with the high end of my center channel output and want to upgrade.

7. Steve F M

Steve F M Screenwriter

My 45Tx is hooked up with Paradigm Monitor 7's, CC-370, ADP 170's as surrounds and Mini Monitor's as Rears and it sounds incredible.

By the way Ecost had the 45TX for $499(Refurb 90day warranty via Pioneer). They still might have some if you are looking.

8. Wayde_R

Wayde_R Stunt Coordinator

I auditioned one. nice unit. The mosfet transistors attempt to make it sound tubey. At any rate it's a very powerful unit, I listened to the 43 and 45, darn near bought one or the other.

Instead I went with the Arcam avr200. seemed more musical, music is equally important to me as HT. I did sacrifice a few features the 43 had, like DD, DTS... es, ex the extra rear channels.

I give that amp thumbs up though. Just take a listen to it and compare with others in its price range.

9. cacu

cacu Stunt Coordinator

I looked up authorized Pioneer Elite dealers from Pioneer's website for my Area (south Florida) and called up many listed dealers in the surrounding areas and many of them still have the 45tx in stock. The problem is many dealer still asking $1000 for it. If you are willing to haggle they might come down in pricing. If you really want the 45tx, can do the same and I would think that there are some stores still have them in your surrounding area. In my case I there are 3 stores from 2 hours away that still have the 45tx.

10. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

The big pro is the MCACC. The con is that it only has 4 digital inputs, if that is an issue for you(well 5 if you count the front optical input).

DJ

11. Paul Sawyer

Paul Sawyer Auditioning

I have a refurb 45. It saved me about $400 over new. My understanding is that they had to replace a limit switch and that was the reason for the recall.

I love it. For HT, it has been phenominal.

Now if I can just master the remote, I am set!

12. Steve F M

Steve F M Screenwriter

They had the Refurb 45TX on Ecost.com about 2 weeks ago for $499 and have them every once and awhile. Keep checking that site as the refurnb are just as good as new if not better.

13. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

14. Scott_Jua

Scott_Jua Stunt Coordinator

another vote for a happy 45TX owner!!! I love it! As for where to buy online...

www.soundpros.com

That's where I bought mine, a friend of mine bought his 53TX, and a friend before bought his 33TX... so that's a solid 3-4 years of service I can personally attest to for price and reliability.

As for warranty scares... the friend with the 33tx bought through them had a factory recall taken care of and the place he bought it (soundpros) was NOT an issue when Pioneer did the service. So that's just FYI for places online to buy from. The bad news is they don't have the 45tx anymore, but they do carry the 53TX which compares favorably to the 45tx.

15. Joe Thompson

Joe Thompson Stunt Coordinator

Steve FM,
    What was the difference between the 45tx & the Denon 4802?....
    Thanks....
    Joe

16. Steve F M

Steve F M Screenwriter

Both are great receivers and the simalarities between the 2 is endless. Both sounded great for HT and Music. The 1 thing that stands out between the 2 is that the Pioneer offers the auto MCACC which is a very nice feature. The denon of course has a more poowerful amp but I didn't really notice a difference with my Paradigm Monitor speakers.

Again both are great but the Pioneer's price would be my deciding factor. A new Denon 4802 runs about $1600 where you can find a Pioneer 45TX for about $600-$700 New on Ebay.

Thats about a $1000 difference.