What's new

Pioneer Elite TV owners: A Little Help Please!! (1 Viewer)

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
What's up...

My girlfriend has a pretty nice set-up with the Elite Pro-610HD, Elite DV-36, Elite VSX-37TX, NHT VT-2.4's>>Matchng centre-surr's/ and the Sub Two. She has regular cable (no box).

She wants to upgrade to an HDTV decoder/Direct TV??/ and possibly some kind of Replay TV.

For the RPTV that she has, what would be the best possible products for her TV? Could you please include the list price? I'll do the willing and dealing.

With the Direct TV programming (or any other service), how many of you have added another box somewhere else in the house (Bedroom, den, etc..)? Could there be an an all-n-one unit in the dust? Thanks!!

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator
If I were you before I spent any money on a HD Direct TV receiver and dish I would call your local cable co. I have TimeWarner cable and have the Digital package with HBO & Showtime, including two HBO HDTV channels and TWO Showtime HDTV channels. This way I did not have to buy anything.

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
I've got the same set & I get very good results with a Dishnetwork 501 PVR. It's a satellite receive w/ "tivo" function built in. We love it for time shifting tv, skipping through commercials, and rewinding live tv. Live broadcast pictures are excellent. Recorded shows are supposed to be the same quality, but they are not as clean as the original. However, they are very acceptable.

I went the HD route with a Dish 6000, but eventually sold the set-up. This was a year ago when HD programs were rare. I thought is was a huge hassle to set up...two dishes, special switches, an antenna in the attic, switching between standard def & high def, etc. There was no way my wife & kids could navigate through the system.

I'm waiting for an integrated HD solution that combines local channels, premium movie channels, and a pvr or tivo function. Maybe by next Superbowl??? Probably not!!!

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Also, a little off topic, but if your girlfriend wnats a little tweak that will improve her setup considerably, you should tell her to turn OFF the progressive scan on her DV-36 and let the superior line doubler of the Pro-610 do the work.
While it's true that it's usually better to do the de-interlacing entirely in the digital domain (in the progressive scan DVD player), in the case of some pioneer machines (like the Elite DV-36 and regular line DV-434) it's better not to. These early attempts at progressive scan from Pioneer have no mechanism whatsoever for reverse 3:2 pulldown. In fact, they don't even have a rudimentary motion-detection de-interlacing mode. All they do is a simple "bob" (which means they just double the lines in each field). That means that you're truly only getting 240 lines of resolution (doubled) at any time.
The de-interlacer inside the Pro-610 on the other hand is renowned for its superb de-interlacing capabilities.
-Lyle J.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks