What's new

Pioneer Elite SC25 Setup issue (1 Viewer)

Dale124

Auditioning
Real Name
Dale C.
Hi all. This is my first post since finding you all with a google search. I recently purchased the above mentioned receiver and so far so good, however, I can't figure out how to get the "True HD" audio or the "DTS Master" to display. I am using a PS3 for my blu ray player and I also have a Toshiba HD-DVD player, both hooked directly to the receiver via HDMI cables. When playing either of these sources, the display on the receiver says "PCM". According to the manual, there should be something on the display saying DTS Master or True HD, but I can't get that to work. I have tried a few different discs that say they have one or the other of these audio types. The sound is awesome, however if there is a setting for how to get more out of it, I would like to take advantage of all this receiver has to offer.
If anyone has a suggestion, I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.
Dale.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Go into the PS3's setup menu and change the audio output to "Bitstream". That way the PS3 will pull the raw signal off the disc and send it to the receiver for decoding. Right now you have it set to LPCM and the PS3 is doing the decoding so the receiver only see's where it's coming from and not what it is.

Dale124

Auditioning
Real Name
Dale C.
Thanks, Gene, I'll give it a try if I can find where to change it to bitstream. I looked earlier for these selections, but was unable to find them. Do you know where that might be?
Dale.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I really don't know much about PS3's and I suppose it's possible Bitstream isn't an option. It doesn't mean you aren't getting HD audio just that the receiver isn't doing the decoding, the PS3 is.

The Toshiba should be able to output Bitstream and that option should be in it's audio setup menu.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Bitstream is only an option on the new "slim" ps3s. If you have an older ps3, you have to set it to LPCM, and it will only say PCM or Multi Ch. in the receiver's display window. The only way to see Dolby TrueHD or dtsHD Mstr, in receiver's display, is with a bitstreamed signal. This isn't possible with an older ps3. You'll either need a new slim ps3, or a standalone blu ray player that bitstreams.

Even though you read PCM in the receiver's display, you should still be getting the HD audio soundtracks. The sound is what's important. Not what it says in the receiver's display.

Dale124

Auditioning
Real Name
Dale C.
Originally Posted by Ed Moxley

Even though you read PCM in the receiver's display, you should still be getting the HD audio soundtracks. The sound is what's important. Not what it says in the receiver's display.
That is very true, Ed. It does sound fantastic!!
Dale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks