Pioneer Elite Recievers and dts...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Glover, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I'll try and make this as short as possible. I recently lost my Yamaha DSP-A1 to lightning damage. But I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-26 THX receiver my brother gave me.

With the Yamaha, I noticed slightly better surround sound performance when playing dts dvd's than DD dvd's. Not always but I could hear some differences.

Now with the Pioneer Elite, I notice the opposite. In fact, it's more obvious. The Dolby Digital sounds more dynamic than before. Things like-more open, wider soundstage, deeper bass, are better in Dolby Digital using the Pioneer. When the dts is selected dialogue doesn't sound as natural or open. And the bass is less.

Has anyone experienced this? I should note that with the Yamaha the dts and DD differences were minimal but they were there. It's not a huge deal as I'm getting tremendous sound. I'm guessing that Pioneer uses a better Dolby decoder in their unit?

My rig:

Pioneer Elite VSX-26 THX Reciever

Pioneer 414 DVD player

NHT VS-2's LCR

NHT VS-2's rear

Velodyne ULD-18 sub

Thanks.

2. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    No one has any thoughts on this? This is not bait for a DD vs. dts war.

3. John Holmes

John Holmes Extra

Tim,

I have the 27TX, so it's very close spec wise. I personally think that DTS on this unit sounds about the same as Dolby Digital. I didn't feel this way at first but, as time went on and using different speakers, this is now my position.

When I first received this unit, I thought that DTS had a clear edge. However, I also used my Infinity's in the begining. Once I began to used my THX speakers, the field seemed to level.

So I guess my point is, what you are hearing maybe very accurate. Especially if you engage THX. IMO, THX Cinema requires THX speakers to work correctly.

As far as weather the chip used is better or worse than DSP-A1, I don't know. I had a Sherwood once, which used a Yamaha chip, I enjoyed the sound from it but, I could not say it was better or worse. Just too many variables between them.