What's new

Pioneer Elite receiver Vs. Denon receiver (1 Viewer)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Ok, I have a 5.1 Pioneer Elite(VSX-05) that I could easily sell for $150. There is a pawn shop that has a Denon 6.1 receiver (Denon AVR-1803) for $129. I was wanting to know if I should sell the Pioneer and get the Denon. The Pioneer only decodes Dolby Digital and has a RF digital input for laser disc. It is rated at 100 watts X 5 but has input of 280 watts. I am not sure on the Denon's ratings but it is a heavier receiver than the the Pioneer. The Pioneer has preouts on all channels and the Denon doesn't.

What I want to know is which is better, and why. Which is more powerful, and which sounds sweeter. I need quick responces as not to miss out on a great buy if it is one.

Thanks in advance,

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
If you had to chose, which receiver would you have? Say they are your only two options.:D

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
As it is I cannot adjust the surround parameters w/out the remote and the Pioneer doesn't have one. It appears that the Denon could be setup w/out a remote, so if it doesn't come with one, big deal aside from conveniance. Another thing the Pioneer does that I find annoying, it pops when changing surround formats, say dolby 2 channel being changed to 5.1 when you leave the DVD menu and start the movie, it makes the speakers pop. This seems like a defect. The surround parameters that have been set have the sub set to off, and the surrounds are set way to high. The Pioneer amp sounds very good, but all these factors weigh against it, I really can't justify keeping it, so come Monday I will probably swap it out with the Denon which does have many features the Pioneer doesn't aside from preouts on all channels. The Denon has 6.1 and analog multichannel inputs. The only thing it lacks are the preouts the Pioneer has.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would go with a Denon, but depending on features it could be a tough and close call between the Denon and Pioneer Elite. But basically I really like the build quality, features, good processing and good quality amplifiers thats why I choose the Denon.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Well the Denon is a few years newer, 4 years actually, so it has significantly more in the Processing departement. The only thing that is holding the VSX-05 back is lack of the remote, which makes setting it up impossible. The sub out is set to off and there isn't a thing I can do to turn it on.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Got it, much more features than the Pioneer. Still no remote, but I will try to get one for it. It will likely be cheaper than the Pioneer remote, they run about 60-70 dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks