What's new

pioneer elite quality issues? (1 Viewer)

Chris Q

Agent
Real Name
Christopher
Iwent to my local elite dealer ship,and one of the salesman told me he personnelly said he would not buy another one.I really like the 53tx,could any elite owners or others give me some answers on this?

Thanks,Chris

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
I don't own an Elite, but will tell you this:

All receivers have quality control issues. If you read the forums you will see that anyone can have problems with any brand/line. The more popular the receiver, the more problems you see posted because more people own them. Most of the time it's a percentage thing - 10% of the owners have 90% of the problems. That means that if 100 people own a certain receiver you see 10 complaints and if 1000 people own it, 100 complaints. (These are not real numbers and are meant only as illustration.)

Pioneer is a good company, as are most others who make receivers in the class of the 53tx. Salespeople have their prejudices and bad experiences just like the rest of us. If the Elite is what you truly want, I'd not hesitate - though I'd hesitate to buy from the guy you mentioned. If you ever had a problem with it, he'd likely be less helpful than someone who believes in the product.

David Judah

Screenwriter
They had some issues about 3 or 4 years ago, but I haven't heard of any since, especially with the current and last year's models.

DJ

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Iwent to my local elite dealer ship,and one of the salesman told me he personnelly said he would not buy another one.
One has to wonder if your salesperson has truly experienced issues with Pioneer Elite gear - or, would prefer that you buy other branded gear from him.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I had a problem with a DV-05 player once, but after a little prodding, they actually took it back and gave me a great deal on the 47ai I still have now.

Michael Riggs

Auditioning
Both of the systems I have owned have been Pio Elite. My first system was a VSX-37TX/DV-37 combo (with an A-35R amp for the rears) and I recently upgraded to the 49TXi/47Ai combo. I also have a PD-27 300-disc CD changer.

I have nothing but good things to say about these units. I had no problems in 3+ years and was/am completely satisfied with the equipment.

I agree with what Doug said, obviously with a large company like Pioneer, that is putting out thousands of units some people are going to have problems. Most the things I have heard indicate that Pioneer does fairly well in fixing these problems.

Sorry to sound like a shill for Pioneer (I promise I don't work for them!) but I really love my 49TXi/47Ai!!

Mike

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
One has to wonder if your salesperson has truly experienced issues with Pioneer Elite gear - or, would prefer that you buy other branded gear from him.
Very true. The store may have a higher margin on other brands of equipment, or the salesman may earn a larger commission on other brands.

FWIW, I have owned a Pioneer Elite 47TX receiver for about 2 years. I had one service issue with the unit -- turned out to be a blown fuse. It was repaired under warranty, and the dealership even gave me a loaner receiver (not an Elite, though) while mine was being repaired. Other than that issue, I have had no problems and have been very pleased with the receiver.

Kam_A

Grip
Let me add my name to the 'Happy Elite Owners List'. I am very happy with my 43TX. It also depends what kind of problems that salesperson had. It may not be a QC issue. Some call it a problem if they find there reciever not loud enough or a crappy remote.

Tim K

Second Unit
the only Elite issues I am aware of is with their new line of Elite RPTV's.

Paul_Ptaaty

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 53tx, a beautiful little tank for under 1k. Nice finish excellent features (only complaint is only 2 rear opticals, at least the digital coaxes aren't shared so you can work around it). MCACC, 8 analog ins for hi-rez, etc, great amp section which has linear power (2 channel measures within 2 watts as 5 channel full load)

The only Elite reciever issue I have seen was the early 45tx models had an overactive protection cicuit that caused shutdown with low Ohm loads at high volume. However this was quickly addressed and none of the others in the tx line have this problem.

Two big thumbs up from me.

*edit* I should note that 4 out of my 5 speakers are rated at 6 Ohms and I can run at reference (ouch!) just fine.

Shawn_MM

Grip
An Elite dealer not happy with the product, maybe they're changing lines??? Anyways I own the Elite 45tx (pre 53tx) and its one great HT receiver.

Bob Bre

Auditioning
could any elite owners or others give me some answers on this?
I've been a proud "Elitist" since 97' with the VSX07TX receiver and Pro99 RPTV, and nadda a single problem. I even sprung for a DV-37 DVD player 2 years ago. The bad news is, the receiver doesn't have DTS or 5.1 outputs for DVD Audio, and the TV doesn't have component video.:frowning: But that's another saga.
The GOOD news is, it still kicks butt, and guests are always impressed. Like everyone said before though, even Beemers are in the shop occasionally. If you have the scratch, you can't go wrong.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
i was a dealer for them for awhile, and although they werent my favorite receiver (sonic reasons), i never had anything bad to say about their quality. however, their flagship has some heat issues and would always overheat while driving a 7.1 of klipsch reference at loud volumes... but aside from that, its a great line. i do however think denon and yamaha sound better, but thats personal opinion.

Chris Q

Agent
Real Name
Christopher
Well guys,i appreciate the comments,im down to the harmon kardon 630,or the elite 53tx,good possibility it will be the elite,you get the self calibration,and it's a little cheaper!thanks for the comments!

Chris

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
Chris,

"im down to the harmon kardon 630,or the elite 53tx"

My vote is for the H/K. I am absolutely and unblushingly :b biased toward H/K due to their ability to handle power demands, and because of the way they sound...however, there have at least as many problems as the other companies. I have seen reports that they take very good care of their customers (might be one on this thread).

It just depends on what you like best. Don't base it on what you're afraid might happen and (almost) ALWAYS buy from an authorized dealer (UNLESS you buy an H/K from Costco, where the policy toward these is "bring it back at any time if you are unsatisfied for any reason and we'll give you all of your money back").:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks