Pioneer Elite Pro 730 Price/Performance

Discussion in 'Displays' started by SteveNixon, Oct 17, 2003.

1. SteveNixon

SteveNixon Extra

First, is this the best rear projection HD tv available?

Second, are there any better prices out their for this set?

I priced this out two years ago at 5,500 dollars, thus a 40% drop in price is huge. Am I a confused newbie or is this one heck of a deal?

Thanks for any feedback.

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I have an Elite 530 and absolutely love it. After having one, I myself wouldn't go with anything else. The thing about the Elites is that they do a great job on all sources, dvd, HD, and SD. Whereas other sets do great on dvd and HD, many of them don't put much effort into SD, which is still going to be around for some time. The Elite has the best line doubler, stretch modes, and comb filter. They are also built like tanks and have an elegant finish. The price drops puts them in the range of a much broader base of customers. I got my 530 about six months ago, and have never regretted it. They are great out of the box, and generally only require a little tweaking. I say go for it!

3. SteveNixon

SteveNixon Extra

Thanks for the feedback. I had an old elite about three years ago and I was continuously amazed at the crisp appearance.

I forgot to say that the best price I can find is 3,450. Any better deals out their?

thanks.

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I have no idea if there are better deals. I can tell you that I got my 530 before the rebates were announced, and Paid $3,000 for it. So I would say 500 more for a 730 is a pretty sweet deal if it is new.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

A year or two ago the Pioneer Elite's were the best available. This justified their $6,000 SRP price.

But now, you can get similar quality from Mitsubishi, Hitachi, Samsung, Sony, etc. So the Elite brand is not heads-and-shoulders above the rest like it was. The price drops reflect the competition selling 60" for $2800.

6. SteveNixon

SteveNixon Extra

thanks guys.

taxfeeelectronics is offering the 730 for 3450

Bob, you know a lot more about this stuff than I do. If you had 4,000 to spend and wanted the best 60ish RPHDTV you could get for that price what would you do? Or would you go with another technology?

7. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

I must disagree with Bob....

I bought an Elite PRO-630HD one year ago at a price of $5000. This is the 58" model. I had it ISF calibrated by Gregg Loewen after about 100 hours of use. It has the absolute best picture of any RPTV that I have seen.

My best friend, and fellow HTF member, went out about 2 weeks after I bought the Elite, and got a 65" Mits WS-65857 I think. (He just had to get one bigger than mine, lol) Now it looks great for HD and DVD, but forget trying to watch SD on it. He will even admit to that!!

We have a Local HTF Meet several times a year here in southwestern Ohio. From what I have been told, my Elite takes the cake as far as all of the members go!!

Just my opinion!!

BTW, soon to "ADD" a FP that will have a screen that lowers in front of the Elite for that really big picture. But the Elite is used everyday for SD cable viewing.

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Ok, I'm not one of the more knowledgable, but I'll offer some observations.

My current favorite TV is one of the Samsung DLP units. The DLP technology is simpler, cleaner, lighter than CRT. The Samsung has a Farajuda chip to up-convert Standard Definition material, weighs between 80-130 lbs and is getting rave reviews because of it's picture and no burn-in issues.

But the Samsung sells for about $3800 for the 50" and nearly $5,000 for the 60.

My budget choice would be a 60" Mitsubishi. I have seen them for about $2500-$2800. I love Mitsubishi quality, but I have 1 big problem: they dont accept a 720p signal. This is the one big flaw in their lineup.

Now if you can get a 60" pioneer elite for $3500 - I'd go for it. But just make sure you can get it in your room. These things are BIG.

I would also see if you can take a print out of the web site to a local dealer that sells Pioneer and see if he would come close to the price. It is the exception, but sometimes these bit televisions do not ship well and a local dealer will take care of you a lot better/quicker than a etailer.

9. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

10. SteveNixon

SteveNixon Extra

Great feedback guys.

After doing more research...does anybody know when a 60 inch LCOS will come out that compares to the Elite in both Quality and Cost?

11. David S

David S Stunt Coordinator

$3500 is a great price. I paid $4100 for the PRO 630 (58") in March. The seller is not an authorized dealer, correct?? I would be careful there.

Note - there is a $1500 rebate offered on the 730 thru December 31, 2003. MSRP is $5499, less say a 10% discount from an authorized seller and less the $1500 Pioneer rebate and your at your $350O (actually a little less). Tack on the tax (but the etailer has shipping) and its a wash.

You should also read the "Green Line Problem" sticky post at the Home Theater Spot. My 630 does exhibit this problem, it is becoming more disappointing, but because the Spot is the only forum I've EVER seen it discussed, appears to be limited to a small % of sets on the street.

And yes, even knowing/having the issue on my set, if I were buying again today, I'd without question buy an Elite[​IMG]

12. SteveNixon

SteveNixon Extra

I didnt know about the 1500 dollar rebate.

The seller is asking 500 for shipping, thus we are actually at 4000 - still good, but with the 1500 rebate taken into consideration, the seller still has close to the standard markup.

13. David S

However, if you could use the rebate after getting it for the $4k including shipping, geeze $2,500 for the 730. I do not think this will work though, explore it anyway. [​IMG]

14. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Stunt Coordinator

The rebate on the 730 is only 1k (per onecall's website). Also, you ONLY get this if you send in your receipt FROM AN AUTHORIZED DEALER, and they are few and far between!

I have been researching this TV for sometime... can't find the damn thing anywhere!! [​IMG]

15. David S

Jim is correct - although I swear I read somewhere where Pioneer upped the 730 rebate to $1500, the 530 rebate to $1000, and with the 630 no longer being offered, I guess this rebate has died.

In Montclair California try Elite Custom Audio Video. They are authorized and I think available. Not sure where either of you live but just trying to help.

16. Jim Carr

I live in NJ, but at this point I will pay if they will ship!! do you have a number?

thanks man!

Jim

17. Jim Carr

Elite Custom Audio Video does NOT have them [​IMG] The guy I spoke to was incredibly nice, but no 730hd. they have the hdi's on order.

I guess I'll keep on looking all over this country! LOL

thanks guys [​IMG]

Jim