What's new

Pioneer Elite PRO-630HD (1 Viewer)

agntcody5000

Auditioning
Real Name
Cody
So I recently picked up one of these amazing units for free from a man on Craig's List who was looking for more space in his new Townhouse. He said that there is a minor repair in need... The Problem: When I turn it on, the screen is green with bright green Horizontal lines that are a little wavy and unstable. The set remains on for around 30 seconds and shuts itsself down. Does anybody know what the problem is? The guy who gave it to me said that this has happend before and it only costed about $150 to fix and took the repairer about ten minutes... Something about a V-chip or some chip that doesn't allow you to watch illegal copies of DVD's (I didn't even know that technology existed... lol) Anyway, If it is in fact something simple, I'm sure I can fix it rather than hire someone else to do it. Also, the green lines make me concerned that I may have knocked something out of whack during hour and a half drive home with it...

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
the cut off voltages are too high (specifically the green one). They are the trim knobs...there are 3...there are 6 knobs total, where the other 3 are for focus.

agntcody5000

Auditioning
Real Name
Cody
that could be... but the guy that i got it from also said that sometimes he can plug it in and turn it in and it'll work fine for a couple days, then it quits again. I'mafraid that if i turn it on to much, i may damage something else... By the way, Where do I find these knobs?

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor

First, congrats on your new/used toy, that's an excellent display and IMO a properly calibrated CRT RPTV still beats a calibrated LCD or plasma of the same size. I have the standard line 53" version of the same display and have no plans to replace it anytime soon.

For your own good I'm not going to tell you where the trim pot knobs are because the worst thing you could do is touch them. The trim pots on Pioneer CRT-RPTVs should never be touched by the owner, unless that owner is also a fully trained service tech. Without the proper equipment and the knowledge to use it there is no way to set the trim pots correctly. It is impossible to do it by eye or touch. Also, it sounds like thare may be another problem; if the trim posts are mis-adjusted then the picture should never look right, which is another good reason for you to leave them alone.

I think it's more likely that there's a problem with one of the power supply boards. Your best bet is to find a good local service tech and pay the price to have him/her come out and take a look at it.

agntcody5000

Auditioning
Real Name
Cody

I was afraid of that. But, you are right... I'm really not tryin to throw something out of whack just on an experimantal basis... I messed around a little with these adjustments on a 50" Toshiba TP50F61 and the picture hasnt been the same since. Luckily I got that one for free too... but it has a seriously shot blue gun... so turning it all the way down actually made the pucture better, although it is a little yellow-ish.

Back to the elite, I believe this set is worth a lot of money, even today, and have read many good things other owners of Pioneer's CRT RPTV's so I'm guessing that any amount I invest will be well spent. And the piece is just gorgeous to look at, even powered off... It will co-exist nicely with the Pioneer VSX-9500S reciever I have... So anyway, Thank you for your explanation, and for simply clearing that up for me... lol I think I'm just out of my league here on this one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lockheede
Recent bookmarks