What's new

Pioneer Elite PRO-510HD (1 Viewer)

LawrenceK

Stunt Coordinator
My family is considering purchasing this TV as a Christmas gift, and I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with this set, and if they would recommend it? I watched some DVDs on it at my local HT store and it looked quite beautiful, but I would like a few outside opinions. Would the 53" set be big enough for my room? I sit about 10-11 ft. back from the television. I was also told that I would not need a progressive scan dvd player once I got it, because the TV would do the same job on its own. Is this correct? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

MikeRa

Auditioning
I currently own the 710 which is the “ big brother” of the 510. I am very please with the set and would recommend it to you. As far as the progressive DVD player, that is your decision, as for the television for that matter. I am sure the electronic store you will be purchasing from can do an A/B comparison on progressive / interlaced . This forum is a great place to get information from others who were in the same situation as you are in. Do not however buy a product just by recommendation alone. Sample other televisions as well as DVD players. When you make your final decision the salesman should have seen you enough so as to call you by name. Remember you are spending quite a bit of money here and you need to be satisfied. As far as purchasing them online that too is your discussion, I decided to pay a bit more and purchased locally. It is much easier explaining to a salesman on the floor that you need assistance with your set after you get it home, rather than over the phone with a store 100 miles away. Please do not get me wrong there are extremely good online suppliers out there but we are talking about a 400 pound television. There is also talk that most of the current HDTV ready sets will soon be obsolete with the new digital format, do a search on Dvi. Or read the following link. Sorry if this reply is vague, it’s my 2 cents.
By the way I love my 710!! http://www.hometheaterspot.com/cgi-b...&f=20&t=000349

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I've had the 610HD (58" diagonal) since January and really like it a lot. I sit about 10-ft away and that is just fine.
For pure de-interlacing ability these sets do a great job such that a progressive-scan DVD player may be unnecessary. Check out this Link Removed of progressive-scan players which also tested the 510 TV.
However, I would still recommend that you mate this set with a progressive-scan player like the Panasonic RP91, which I have, that has a scaling feature. The Elites lock into the FULL picture mode for all progressive sources, but the RP91 can scale non-anamorphic sources such that the result is far superior to using the TV's ZOOM mode. This also allows you to leave the set in FULL mode all the time so you don't have to constantly select the appropriate mode (NORMAL, ZOOM, FULL) for each DVD or supplemental material on the DVD. A very worthwhile feature.
You should also be aware that Pioneer will probably be releasing an update to the Elite line soon. Search the forums like HTSpot for more information.

Scott O'Keeffe

Stunt Coordinator
Glenn et al...
Has anyone figured out how to adjust the vertical position of the elites and the non-elite Pioneer's yet? I have a 91 also, and the vertical is shifted up I'd say a third up. There seems to not be any adj. in the service menu either. Its definitely a monitor issue as others with 91's don't seem to have the problem. They have the "left" shift, which is correctable, but this vertical thing is starting to irk me.
Any news?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks