Pioneer Elite, other receiver ?'s

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff.bart, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Jeff.bart

Jeff.bart Stunt Coordinator

Looking at the Yammy rx-v1300, it supposed to provide 60 Mhz for HDTV signals, 10 Mhz above what's necessary (or am I reading wrong?) What about the Pioneer Elite VSX45? I am looking closely at that.

Other features I want in a receiver are ability to set cutoff on low frequencies at at least 60 Hz, with option to go lower. Which receivers at MSRP of $1500 or less have that? I am looking at Yamaha rx-v1300s, as well as Integra 7.2, Rotel 1055, Denon 3802 (and 3803), upcoming Marantz 7300 and NAD T762 releases. Now I see that Sony, JV and Pioneer are catching the competitive spirit. Any I am missing?

Also, on component video outputs. I think I read that the Pioneer Elite 45 has two in/one out. I assume I need two in for TV and DVD and one out for future DVD recorder. Would I need a third 'in" ideally? My DirecTV box has optical, not component.

Finally, anyone have an idea on the least possible price to pay for a system of good separates that beat an AV receiver in the same price range. Can a 6.1 system (NAD?) with all latest worthwhile standards (DD, DTS, PL2) and 110 to 125 watts per channel be had new for less than $1500? $2000?

Would it be better to buy something like the rx-v1300, vsx45 or 3802 and add a separate amp later?

Ah, so many choices. So little cash ...

2. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

Jeff:

I think you may have overwhelmed everyone with questions. I have the 45 TX and luv it. I've listened to the 3802 and its nice but I've heard he remote is not good.

I'm adding a seperate amp to the 45 for FR and FL. So I do recommend this because of the compromises receiver manufacurers have to make.

Don't forget Harmon Kardon. The 8000 and the 520(525 soon) are very nice pieces. Onkyo also has some new pieces out.

I don't like yamadog or Kennywoood but that's personal preferences. Don't let it stop you from checking them out.

Good Luck!

Mike

3. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

4. Jeff.bart

Mike, you are probably right. Funny thing is, I've done a ridiculous amount of research on this stuff and I still have these little nagging questions. My next receiver and speaker set will probably have to last until my kids grow up and go to college. I may be able to add a separate amp(s) later on and use the AV as a tuner and preprocessor, but I need to make my purchase go a long way.

Perhaps I overdo it. I don't think I'll need anything beyond 6.1, DD and DTS, SACD, DVD-A. Indeed, I expect this new rush of surround standards to slow. The larger public won't stand for hyper constant change, like audiophiles do. Still, it would be nice to have the option to upgrade via software.

Also, I am not a loud listener. On a scale of 1-10, my stereo will rarely go beyond 3 or 4. My wife would go nuts if I listened any louder, and certainly would not watch movies with me at levels I prefer. So figure most $1000 or so receivers should give me plenty of power and clean sound.

BTW, Mike, does the Pioneer 45TX have 50Mhz or more for component video? I would like to hook up my eventual HDTV to the AV.

To Dave, you are right. I was mixed up about the sound and video connections. My DirecTV box has an S-video connection. A future one will probably have component video, so it would be nice to have three such inputs.

Tell me, are these component video-switching boxes of high quality. Any problems with video degradation? If not, sounds like an easy fix.

5. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

Yep Dave - I absolutlely agree..........with Pioneer statement you made..

Mike

6. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

i believe the 45tx has the same component freq response as the 49tx. Which is 40MHz, that is enough to pass HDTV signals without interference which is a requirement for all THX ULTRA2 cert receivers. Yes, a good component switchers will pass video without interference. I haven't seen one for $75, I've seen one for about $180 though. here's a link:
    http://www.inday.com/
    I haven't used but I hear it's good.
    Daniel Smith

7. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

The Elite's seem like they are a top product, but the new Denon 3803 seems to top the 45 & 47 models. It has 100 mzh bandwidth, plus it has upconversion of composite & svideo to component. All for $1200.

8. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Admittedly, up-conversion is a legitimate convenience for those needing it, but do NOT expect the quality of the composite or s-video source to be better or as good when compared to a source originating in component.
    I cuold easily up-convert a bad composite signal to a bad component signal, but why bother? [​IMG]

9. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

The 49tx has upconversion and it's pretty sweet. However, each individuals needs may very.

I think that 3 component inputs are a little short - I've got 4 sources now and will add a 4th with a Gamecube (someday soon.) I use the JVC switchbox for my game consoles - ran by 75 bucks + shipping. It works pretty well.

10. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Dave [E H],

What four component sources are you using? Also, what is your output display?

11. Jeff.bart

Upconverion certainly can't hurt. I don't want to have to buy a new VCR (composite) or sat receiver (s-video) to take advantage of component video. At least not now. But such a feature wouldnt determine a purchasing decision.