What's new

Pioneer Elite or H/K? (1 Viewer)

LawrenceZ

Stunt Coordinator
I'm buying a new receiver and sort of have it narrowed down to 2; the Pioneer Elite VSX-35TX or the H/K AVR 310.
I have 2 concerns with the H/K, the first being THX EX and the fact that H/K doesn't do it and the second being its rated power output. The H/K is rated at only 50x5 but, and here's the part I'm unclear on, it is high current output. Could someone please explain the difference between high current and not so high current output as it applies to audio?
I guess my big question is, between the two, which would you buy?

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
It's kind of funny that you are comparing these two recievers. I used to own a H/K 310 and now I currently own a Pioneer elite 35tx.
First I must say that I am very happy with th 35tx.
Mainly because of the sound and some of the features that the H/k did not have. Not to say that I did not like the H/K I really did like. It some very useful and great features. Plenty of digital inputs 2 coax and 2 optical and I optical and coax digital out, plus a optical input on the fron that can be swithced to an output if needed. All of these digital connections are assignable making it possible to manipulate many options. Another very cool option is the speaker setup memory. You can set speaker levels individualy for each input. and the remote can autmatically match all of the speaker levels. One thing that I did not like about the H/K was if something was in dolby digital 2.o ,like many trailers or non 5.1 movies, the H/K did not automatically go to dolby pro-logic, the Pioneer will do that. I also must state that I enjoyed H/K logic 7 over pro-logic, infact while owning the H/K I never used pro-logic.
As for the 35tx, I feel that is sounds more complete than the H/K and the surround ex/dts es sounds sweet.(I did use a homemade ex/es set up by connecting an older pro-logic only elite to the surround outputs of the H/k giving me ex and es)It has component inputs which the H/K does not. And the remote is definately better (the first remote that I got with the H/K was a disaster until I emailed H/K that there receiver was good but the remote was crap, and they sent out a new one right away.) The Pioneer also has multi room and source, video included, the H/k has multiroom and source but only with audio.
I as I said that I am happy with the Pioneer but the H/K is not to bad either. If you leaning toward the pioneer I would say not a bad pick. If you leaning toward the H/K I would have to suggest that you look for the H/K 510 instead. It has all of the features of the 310 plus component inputs, pre-out and main in inputs, the 310 only has pre-outs and has a higher output rating. If you look around the H/K 510 can be found around the same price as the 35tx.
If you have any more question feel free to ask.
------------------

LawrenceZ

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Bill, I was leaning towards the 35TX because of the additional features (THX EX, DTS ES), thanks for the advice. As far as sound quality goes, did you notice any differences?
Another question I had was, if I use an old reciever to power the 6th channel, won't the volume on the receiver affect the volume of the center rear? I don't want to have to be adjusting 2 volume controls and then worry about the volume for the center rear being too low of too high. Or will it work like the volume on my powered sub?

Paul_C

Stunt Coordinator
If you decide to go with the Pioneer you might want to wait a little longer. The new models have been posted on their website. Another thread around here somewhere had the URL.
I don't have any experience with H/K but I really enjoy my Elite reciever.
Good luck.
Paul.
------------------

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
One thing that I did not like about the H/K was if something was in dolby digital 2.o ,like many trailers or non 5.1 movies, the H/K did not automatically go to dolby pro-logic, the Pioneer will do that.
I actually asked Dolby Labs about this and they say H/K is doing it 100% correctly. If the 2.0 material has matrix surround information encoded in it, it is supposed to send a 'surround' bit to the receiver in the DD bitstream. No surround bit and the receiver is supposed to go into stereo mode only.
Personally, I wish it would hold the Pro-Logic mode like your Pioneer does, but should the blame be on H/K, or on the creator of the material??
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks