Pioneer Elite M-72 Power Amplifier, does anyone know about this unit?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alan Pummill, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Happy New Year fellow HTF members, and guest!

I am thinking of getting a power amp to enhance my main speaker performance. The only reason I am looking at this amp is because my wife, (bless her heart), gets a $750 product bonus later this year for her 15 years of service at the car audio plant in Springboro, Ohio. This is the only thing I can think of to upgrade my system at this time from Pioneer. The rest of my system is all Elite.

What would this amp do to improve the sound from my Elite VSX-09TX receiver and Paradigm Monitor 7 front speakers?

Do any of you have knowledge of this unit?

2. rajiv

rajiv Stunt Coordinator

The M-72 is a very good amp, but I think it is discontinued, yet still listed in Pioneer's active lineup. I do know it is no longer in production. I looked for one sometime back, about 1 year ago, and could not find any new ones. The M-72 will give you a somewhat better perfromance for your main speakers than the VSX-07/09TX series of receivers, but in my opinion, you should save up for one of Pioneer's newer more powerful receivers. Something like the VSX-47TX or -49TX systems instead. They will give you much more power and you get DTS and the other surround processing as well. As you know the VSX-09TX does not have DTS or any of the newer surround formats.

Again, everything depends on cost and what you're willing to spend. If you only have $750 to spend, then look at a couple of Marantz 300W mono-block amps instead. You should be able to find them for about $400 each and they will match in appearance to the Elite stuff.

3. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Thank you rajiv,

The $750 must be spent on Pioneer products, which my wife gets for about 60% of retail, employee discount...

You may have a point about a receiver upgrade.