What's new

Pioneer Elite Hum (1 Viewer)

DevinST

Auditioning
I've got a Pioneer Elite system with VSX-95 Receiver/amp and SP-99D Surround Processor. I spent a few hours last night trying to track down and eliminate a very noticable hum to no avail.

Here's what I've tried: I removed the satellite cable entirely, I removed every component, one by one until there was nothing connected except the amp and the speakers, I put a cheater on the power plug, I tried plugging it into several different outlets.

The hum persists and makes the system unlistenable for television or anything else where there isn't constant sound overriding the hum. I finally just hooked up my TV directly and the system is currently not used.

I'm afraid the amp is somehow damaged. I get the same hum on all input selections. Any ideas? Are the Pioneer's prone to this? If the receiver/amp is damaged, is this worth fixing or should I replace? (Wasn't planning on buying a new system this month)

Thanks for the help.

You get hum with no sources connected at all? That doesn't sound good. Have you tried plugging the receiver into a different circuit? You might also try a power conditioner of some sort and see if that helps with the noise.

DevinST

Auditioning
Tried it again. Definite HUM with the amp and speakers only. Tried different outlets around the house; no change. Might try a neighbor's house next. I'll check into the power conditioners also.

One other bit of data: When I took the surround processor out of the system I had to put the connector bars back in. The hum seemed to increase when I did that. Does that mean anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks