Pioneer Elite ES-1000 HTIB?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by wayne p, Sep 2, 2003.

1. wayne p

wayne p Stunt Coordinator

A friend of mine is moving to a condo, so space is at a premium. He wants to set up a HT in a spare bedroom, approx 11x14, so is looking at HTIB. He wants simplicity, some reasonable assurance it will not be outdated in a few months, and of course decent sound. Multi room would be a bonus, but not essential.

He asked for my opinion but I have no experience with HTIB. I have searched a bit, and note Pioneer has this ES-1000 which plays DVD, CD, DVD-A, SACD, etc. It has small speakers and a free standing front display so the hardware can be placed out of site (WAF very important here). The MSRP in Canada is $2400.00 Canadian.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience with this unit, or with other suggestions.

Thanks
    Wayne P

2. wayne p

Any input would be appreciated. He wants to make his purchase next week.

Wayne P

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Wayne given that budget I think something more like the Energy Take 5 system with a decent receiver would do him well plus they're easy to find locally (at least hear in Winnipeg) You can get the Take's in white if that helps the wife and they still sound pretty decent for their size.

4. wayne p

Thanks for responding Andrew.

I must agree with you , however my friend wants a system which will take up minimum space. Sacraficing size and apperance (the later being in the eye of the beholder) for sonic performance is contrary to my philosophy on all things audio. I believe we are fighting the WAF factor here.

This Elite system has all amplification built into the sub, a small universal player/tuner and a small thin display panel on a cable so the player can be placed out of sight. It should be noted that when he first started talking about this he was going to purchase a Bose Lifestyle system! He still may go this way if I don't identify a good alternative. I beleive there must be a better HTIB then Bose, but I have not looked into it before, having no personal interest in compromised systems. In fact it seems few who frequent this forum have any interest in HTIB given the lack of response to this post.

Thanks again,

Wayne P

5. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

Take 5 or Encore, definitely.
    Then you could go with something like the JVC RX-DV31SL, although I am doubtful of its performance... At least they seem honest in their ratings...
    ref: http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL026994

Denon makes what seems to be a decent HTIB system, the DHT-1000DV.
    ref: http://www.denon.ca/hapdfs/dht1000dv.pdf

Denon used to make the ADV-700, which doesn't seem to be replaced in their current lineup, which was an AV receiver and DVD player in one, and seemed much better than the JVC model. They may sell the ADV-1000 separately from their DHT-1000DV kit, which would allow better speakers to be used.

OR, he could go with a PC/oriented system like the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1...
    ref: http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=712

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I'd much rather see him go with the Energy Take 5 and the panasonic combo system if he wants a "life style" like system that would sound so much better. Here's the Panasonic receiver and add one of the Panasonic DVD players and you'd end up with a compact combo unit and would sound much better then the lifestyle system yet be fairly similar in size...plus it would be much much cheaper[​IMG] For that matter given that the panasonic combo would only be about $500 you could go inwall speakers which would be the cleanest install route. You'd still need a sub but its something to consider.

7. wayne p

Thanks for the suggestion, all.The Denon DHT-1000DV is the type of all-in-one product he is looking for and it will have to be added to the short list (very short at this point as there seems to be very few HTIB worth considering).

A link to the Pioneer unit, for comparison, is here. Note it handles both hi-rez formats.

www.yana-online.com/newsletter_winter2002.html

Please keep the suggestions coming. He moves into the condo this Monday and is chompping at the bit to buy something.

Wayne P

8. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Pioneer also has a slimline receiver, the C300, but it's only a 5ch receiver where the Panasonic is 6ch. The Panasonic uses digital amplification which allows for more power and less heat from a receiver that small. The Pioneer just uses really small, weak, hot amplifiers.

9. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

I've listened to the Pioneer system and it's great sounding. I don't know whether it's $2000 great, but it's much better than the Panasonic slimline system.

Oh and it looks much better too.