What's new

Pioneer Elite DVD47Ai or Onkyo SP800??? (1 Viewer)

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
I know both of these machines are fairly new but I'm hoping any users can give me their pros and cons of both machines to help me decide which machine to buy before the end of the week.

Thanks!

Mike

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know (yet) if the Onkyo/Integra machines have the chroma bug? Speaker delays for SACD? Full bass management?

Sach

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

The Onkyo is based on the Pioneer 47A, while the 47Ai is the newer Pioneer. Pioneer should have named the 47Ai differently as it is definitely a big redesign of the 47A.

The 47Ai offers full base management, has the ilink, is heavier then the 47A, has much improved onscreen user interface (although a cosmetic function, its still one of the best I have seen), and above all has Burr Brown Dacs rather than the Crystal Dacs in 47A. I had both; I upgraded the 47A to 47Ai and I noticed a lot of improvement over the 47A even though I was satisfied with 47A too.

The Onkyo on the other hand has THX certification, does not have full base management and also the ilink. Its definitely a rebadged 47A. For this reason I would go with 47Ai. Don't forget the Pioneer Elite's 2 year warranty.

You might also want to check the new Yamaha S2300 player, which has the Faroudja DCDI processing. Based on the specs, must be really good.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
From what people have said here, the Onkyo 'SP800 is lacking in terms of video and audio (SACD, in particular) relative to the Sony DVP-NS999ES. Perhaps this is a reflection of the 'SP800 being modeled after the Pioneer Elite '47A, which has also gotten mixed reviews. The '47Ai sounds like a winner. I am curious to see how the Yamaha 'S2300 is received.

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Sach and Keith,
Thanks for your responses but I did pick up the Yamaha S2300 yesterday and will be putting it to the test this week. My Elite 530 TV was just delivered so I've been playing with that for the time being. I hope to have a small review on the Yamaha by the end of next week. Merry Christmas all!
Mike:D

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Geez. All of the Integra/Onkyo, Marantz, and Yamaha machines are based on the Pioneer. *When* will we see a truly ground-up design?
Denon maybe?
Either Pioneer is waaaay ahead of everyone else, or everyone else is lazy. ;)

Tom Lee

Agent
I believe the Denon 9000 is a ground up unit with SACD playback, unfortunately it was never used.

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
The Denon 9000 can't do SACD through its internal decoders and will probably never be upgraded to do so. Denon will have two Universal units next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks