Pioneer Elite DVD Players - opinions/experience?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve.M.L, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Steve.M.L

Steve.M.L Auditioning

Any opinions/experience on Pioneer Elite DVD players? Not at all familiar with the brand - I just remember that Pioneer is what you bought if you didn't have much money back in high school.

The guy I work with at local Audio/Video store is recommending a Pioneer Elite DV-C36, which they have on sale for $350.00. He says this is better than the Denon DVM-1805 (around $400), which in turn is better than Panasonic DVD-CP72 & Sony DVP_NC655P.

I would appreciate feedback.

Steve

2. Steve.M.L

Steve.M.L Auditioning

Huh, I'm surprised there's no experience/opinions on Pioneer Elite DVD players. What gives?

Steve

3. Mike Franklin

Mike Franklin Stunt Coordinator

I have an older Pioneer Elite DV 05 and I love mine, I dont have progressive scan tv and it doesnt have component inputs so all I use is the interlaced output and the picture is great on my Proscan 366000 tv. My does have the chroma bug but like I said I dont use the component output so it doesnt bother me. Most have said that the new players have the chroma bug as well. But so far no has proven it yet or provided a link to back up there claims so I dont know, but in my opinion you should get one if your thinking about I have owned pioneer for years and I havent been diappointed yet. So [​IMG] [​IMG] from me.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Hmmm. I have mixed feeelings about Pioneer Elite now. I had a DV-05. The transport started failing after less than 15 months. If you look around, a common problem with this unit. I pestered Pioneer, and they took it back for a good deal on the 47ai. (I had a 45a for 2 months in between.)
    I was a happy camper. I liked the 45a, and I love the 47ai. Then I saw this:
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...rch&articles=5
    I'm thinking about getting rid of it, and getting the Yamaha 2300.
    But I also do think there is a difference between "hard core" Pioneer Elite (the players that weight 20 lbs or more), and "plastic" Elite (the DV-05, the 45a, and to some degree the 47ai).
    I believe that the 36 is a heavy one. If I were you, I'd check around Secrets for a review of that player, as well as comments on www.audioreview.com .

5. Jason Nash

Jason Nash Auditioning

That review is good to show the technical aspects, but I don't think it shows off the quality of the player. For example, I just got the DV-47Ai this week. It replaced a Malata DVP-520 (for sale if interested), which has the same internals as the 996, which ranked right above the DV-47Ai. The DV-47Ai is MUCH better than the Malata for video quality. There is no way I'd rate the Malata higher after having both.

It's a good player, but not better than the Pioneer (which should be better costing $500 more). I won't even get in to build quality (which the review obviously doesn't cover) or audio. The responses to the review on AVS make similar points.

6. Don Munsil

Don Munsil Stunt Coordinator

Your post points up the danger of boiling down overall player performance into a single number. It's really tough to compare the Malata to the Pioneer. I'd agree (and the chart shows) that the Pioneer is in most respects a better player than the Malata. But the Malata has no chroma bug, and the Pioneer does. We weighted chroma bug issues pretty high, and there are three different chroma bug factors represented in the chart. The end result is that it's pretty hard for a player with the chroma bug to rank very high.

If one were to weight the chroma bug lower, the 47ai beats the Malata, because it has better deinterlacing and better video performance scores.

Don

7. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

I have a pioneer model 37 elite that I am not using any more. Heavy build. Great audio [not dvd-A] but bad chroma error problems. I am currently using the Denon 1600 and love it. I would not recommend the 37 elite. If that helps....

8. Steve.M.L

Steve.M.L Auditioning

Thanks for the replies. I'm getting conflicting reviews from here and elsewhere. I may go with the Panasonic for now as I hear it's a good performer and pretty inexpensive.

Steve

9. Jim Maenner

Jim Maenner Auditioning

I have a Elite DV-09 that is rock solid.

As Kevin Brown would call it a 'hard core' player (40 pounds), the transport is whisper quite, and the playback is great.

The downside is since it is a little over 3 years old it does not have progressive playback and does not play CD-Rs or MP3s, however, with the right tools it will play VCDs that I burn.

All in all a great player, just wish Pioneer would bring out an updated piece that is comperable to it.

Jim

10. Josh_Z

Josh_Z Agent

I think that people put too much weight on those
    tests. Unless you are going to sit around and play those individual test segments back, they don't really mean alot.

I think that the Panasonic RP-82 is a fine DVD player, probably stellar given the price point. However there are other criterea for picture quality.

11. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Although I do not have an Elite dvd player. My standard Pioneer does a good job. I have demoed the Pioneer Elite dvd player and think they are a very nice product. And I would agree that test disc will not tell you everything. The Pioneer Elite is nice so is the Sony ES and the Denons are nothing to sneeze at. This summer Denon should be releasing there dvd/dvd-a/sacd model. And it is a very nice unit top to bottom. Also you may want to wait for the Adcom dvd/dvd-a player that will retail for about 1k. All I can say is WOW. I will be buying this one when it comes out.

12. Ron Newsome

Ron Newsome Stunt Coordinator

Steve I would not recommend the DV-C36, and this is coming from a major Pioneer fanatic! It doesn't even have the PureCinema deinterlacer. If you're looking for a changer, then go for the Panasonic CP72. I definitely would not buy the DV-C36 if I were you.

13. Don S

Don S Stunt Coordinator

"I have a pioneer model 37 elite that I am not using any more. Heavy build. Great audio [not dvd-A] but bad chroma error problems. I am currently using the Denon 1600 and love it. I would not recommend the 37 elite. If that helps.... "

I have the DV-37 and it is outstanding. If you haven't actually seen the "dreaded Chroma bug", many here, IMO, make way too much of it. I barely notice it at all, even when I am looking for it. Others seems to REALLY be bothered by it because a few seconds of a few scenes in certain DVDs seem to highlight the bug.....