What's new

Pioneer Elite DVD Player Class Action (1 Viewer)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
There is a proposal on their website, www.pioneerelectronics.com to settle the lawsuit. There apparantly are 3 choices (final approval will be in Dec.) for covered players. A reimbursement of firmware update costs from an authorized service center, A voucher to take to an authorized service center for a free firmware update or $50 towards a new Pioneer player. All the details are in the 16 page document at their website.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info. My wife has a 333 and I have a 59AVi, and I've never had a problem with either one, but what the heck. :)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil

I have a DV-47A which started out in the bedroom system and now is in the basement system. The basement system basically gets used to watch HD Football on Sat. or Sun. during the day on some occasions. I never had a problem with it in the bedroom system but I never played tons of DVD-As on it (or SACDs) and it had moderate use as a DVD player, certainly only a fraction of using my main system. But what the heck, I'll wait unit Dec. until it gets approved and opt for the firmware update. It has been in the basement for a yr. and I might have played one DVD on it.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I have a couple of the players on the list, and one 3rd gen player (DV-525) alwasy acted up on certain discs. However, for a player this old, there is zero chance of me finding the original sales receipt at this point in time. I think a bunch of lawyers are going to collect money from this suit and very few individuals due to the prohibitive paperwork.

J

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I don't think a sales receipt should be required either. The serial number is right on the back, and Pio players all (most?) have date codes on them too.

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Where is this document you are talking about? Can someone please provide a direct link. or tell me where to find it on their site.

Thanks,
Chris

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Look on the right side:

Product Upgrades and Notices
Important:

Notice To Purchasers of Pioneer/Elite DVD Players

Carl Gaff

Second Unit
I have four players on the list and all were purchased from authorized Pioneer dealers and registered thru Pioneers website. But...due to moving I no longer have any receipts. So, I can't get a remedy for my players from the settlement. Da*$!!!!

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil

You can try going back to the dealer to get a copy. If you have a copy of any receipt from an authorized dealer for any piece of equipment and are handy with scanning software and editing, I really don't see them checking every single one that closely. I'm going to mail them a photo copy. I'm not about to send my original. If they give me grief, I'll be happy to give them a bit back with complaints to my State consumer affairs agency, the Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I thought I'd post a follow-up. I elected the firmware upgrade for my old DV-47A that now sits in the basement system (and is virtually unused anyway as I use that system to watch daytime sporting events in HD a few dozen times a yr. at most). I rec'd the authorization letter to take to the repair center or in the event it is too far to drop off (it is in NC about 300 miles from me) a UPS sticker with an instruction page to go to on the UPS site. I'll have to dig out the box for it and I'll likely send it away but it is pretty lame that they could not have a choice of several authorized repair centers and at least one in reasonable driving distance. While I have no specific complaints, I think it is always better when you're fixing a problem that has not caused customer goodwill to make it as convenient an experience as possible. I mean when an automobile gets a recall you go back to your local dealer. If the FDA recalls a bad batch of food you can return it to your local supermarket. It lessens the value of local dealers vs. buying from the internet for the cheapest price in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks