Pioneer Elite DV45a, should I bring it back?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Anthony.L, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Extra

Well, I picked up this player about two weeks ago and I am pretty happy with it, however on SACD it just doesn't sound as good as the DVD A. My set up is only using two channel HI-Rez(doesn't have 5 analog input). I paid $320 for it and was wondering if I should upgrade to a Denon 2200 before my thirty day exchange period is up. Will the Denon perform $200.00 better? Also, hoe does the Pioneer 563A compare to the DV45A? Did I get ripped off? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Anthony

2. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Do you have / have you heard another SACD player with which you are comparing the 45A? This may help us determine what you consider good / acceptable SACD performance, or at least figure out your scale of performance.

Doug

3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I have been extremely pleased with my 45A for all hi-rez sources. Although I have a preference for MC, I have been happy with the few 2 CH SACDs I do have (Police, Stones, etc.).

It would be helpful for you to provide the titles that you are evaluating, as well as your perceived shortcoming. And since there are very few (none that I know of) discs available with the same mix on both formats, comparisons between DVD-A and SACD pretty hard to do.

Having said all that, I certainly would not say you got ripped off. But, if you are unsatisfied with the player, then you should compare it to various other players, and pick the one that you feel is the best performer.

BGL

4. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Anthony: a lot of people think sacd just has a different sonic "personality" than dvd-audio (or it's cousin CD) has, so your player may be working perfectly fine. I am in that group that thinks sacd has a slightly veiled sound as if the receiver's treble knob was turned down some or a piece of thin cloth was hanging in front of the speakers. To some this reminds them of vinyl's sound, a positive quality to them. I'll admit sacd sounds.....pleasant.....but for me the PCM format (what dvd-audio & CD use) has more high frequency detail and just more overall life & impact than the DSD digital format that the sacd format uses. This is especially true when listening to rock & pop music.

Just my opinion.

LJ

5. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I'll toss in another [​IMG] for the 45A. I have one and have no complaints about it. And it makes an *EXCELLENT* CD player.

6. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Extra

Well, I went out and bought Dark Side of the Moon and all I can say is WOW. I guess I just needed to sample another title. I am happy with the player, it's just it didn't seem as vibrant as my DVD Audio Discs,(Queen, REM, and the Eagles)anyway, I guess I will try exploring some new titles.

Thanks Again!!