Pioneer Elite DV 59 DVD Player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MarcoBiscotti, Apr 4, 2005.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Is this player all-region coded?

I thought I had read somewhere that it has an all-region playback but I think it might have been the UK variation of the model.

Can anyone confirm and offer suggestions as to what I should do in regards to obtaining multi-region capable playback?

Is it stupid to spend so much on a high-end player and than mess w/ the warranty by having someone tweak it up and customize?

I am absolutely set on this player, I want the best possible a/v playback I can get from a DVD unit and need the multi-channel audio outputs such as SACD, DVD-A, etc. as I'm not interested in spending another lofty sum on a seperate unit, nor do I have the space. The specs on this machine are absolutely perfect, except... I need to go multi-region!

I have quite a few import titles, still a small minority in light of my collection... but it's important I have the playback.

What are your suggestions?

2. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

It is definately not all region in North America and it would require a hardware change to make it so (at least I cannot find a remote keypress sequence on the net for it).

I don't think the European version is all region but the Aussie (DV969AVi) unit 'is' due to the laws they have there at the moment concerning region encoding (I would estimate they will say goodbye to that law soon due to their new free trade agreement with another country..[​IMG]).

Modding the thing would certainly void your warranty. Personally I wouldn't do it, but I don't have a bunch of non Region 1 discs.

I have been very impressed with the PQ and SQ from the 59 thus far and am waiting for it's return from Pioneer Canada after the latest firmware upgrade (which they have to do in house as a hardware change (probably a PROM), sigh).

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks Paul,

Is the DV969AVi the exact same player as 59 Elite model in all other regards?

Same features, connections, a/v & build quality, etc?

Should I opt for this unit over the NA Pio Elite DV59?

I want a high end player that will deliver top quality in all aspects, that's why I was going for the DV59 Elite. If the Australian version is the exact same model in all regards PLUS it has multi-region capability than I'd rather put my money into that.

I haven't seen any reviews or even mention of the player through Google apart from Pioneer's own Australian site. That has me somewhat concerned...

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

5. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

The 59AVi and 969AVi share the same Owners Manual, so they spec out the same and 'are the same' as far as I can tell (the 969 is gold apparently).

I don't have any info about the European version being multiregion right out of the box. I just spoke with a compatriot of mine at work who lives in the UK and he bought a 668 (a 45 without i-link I believe?) and he paid extra to have it made multiregion (he purchased from an online 'dealer' and believes he has voided his warranty by having the mod done). He said most online sales will offer multiregion mods for extra, or build it into the price (as seems to be done in the link you have above). In the regular shops in the high street, they are 'not' region free, was his comment.

Here is a user review of the 969:
    http://www.dtvforum.info/lofiversion...hp/t14805.html

The reviews are few and far between - at 2500AUS MSRP that might be why. Here's a thread that shows it can be purchased for about half of that MSRP though:
    http://www.dtvforum.info/lofiversion...hp/t15214.html
    edit - MSRP now 1500AUS according to pioneer.au nice drop for them...

6. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks Paul!

I just realised that I'd probably have a problem running it through our 120V outlets though... since they're designed for 240v / 50Hz supply. I think I would need some sort of transformer or something and that complicates things even more.

Should I just look into a mod chipset for the 59AVi Elite instead?

Also, do you know anything about multi-system video converters?

I came accross this Tenlab TR-1000Pro which apparently converts source signals to any global region... NTSC, SECAM, PAL, etc...

Do you think with a modified all-region player, my Digital Projection HDX w/ Iscan scaler and Stewart screen... I would benefit from something like this?

http://www.regionfreedvdplayers.com/...tr1000pro.html

Say I were to pop in my R2 UK Laurel & Hardy Collection which is obviously PAL sourced, and wanted to watch with my projector and multi-region player (assuming I can find the Pio Elite 59 in multi-region function)... would this eliminate issues like PAL speed-up, etc?

Should I consider it?

7. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Marco - you're way beyond me with the scalers and video conversion. I would suggest asking over at AVS as their DVD Player (Standard Def) Forum is well attended.

FYI the Aus 969 is dual voltage 220/110 and does PAL/NTSC as well. You would need a PAL capable display in order to take advantage of any PAL output I believe, but don't quote me on it.

8. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    FWIW, we get the 969 in Singapore as well, multi-region out of the box. Retails for around S$1,100-1,200 nowadays (that's about US$666-727). No one here does online overseas retailing though, so unfortunately that doesn't help you much, unless you're passing through these parts.

AFAIK, the difference seems mostly in the remote (the 59's remote can also control a Pioneer TV), whilst the 969 has S-VCD capability, not that any aficionado of HT would care or need it. It is also multi-system, though I don't think it does PAL to NTSC conversion, most TVs here being multi-system to begin with.