What's new

Pioneer Elite DV-47A (1 Viewer)

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
All I know about the update is that it comes on a disc you put in and startup the player. I was under the impression that very few players with the chroma bug could be upgraded via software, but there was one chipset that could. (LSI? Isn't that what the 47a uses?)
I'm mainly interested in the 47a for it's ability to play both multi-channel formats. However, for that much money I would probably use it as my top DVD player. I've yet to actually notice the chroma in casual viewing without explicitly looking for it... But, like I said for that much money I'd want to use it as my top DVD player and having something come with a defect (especially an elite component) just doesn't sit 100% with me.
-Aaron

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't it seem odd that Pioneer would already have a fix for the '47A? The player hasn't even been out a week! If there really is a fix for the chroma bug already, why didn't Pioneer just delay the release a couple weeks to get it right the first time? It behooves anyone in the market for the '47A to wait a few weeks to see what gives. It could be that the next batch of players would ship with the update.

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
Okay. Just a few quick impressions of my new DV-47A. I was a little surprised at the slight build of the player. It is very light. I was using a DV-38A which is quite heavy.

The picture quality was excellent. A little better than the DV-38A. This unit is supposed to use a 12 bit video DAC whereas the 38A uses a 10 bit video DAC. One thing I wish they had done is make the player switch automatically to progressive scan on anamorphic DVDs. You have to manually switch between progressive scan & interlaced. My 38A did it automatically. It also doesn't have a red light that stays on after the unit is turned off when it is in standby like the 38A.

I only listened to one SACD disc, however it was my first time listening to SACD so I don't have a reference to go by. It did sound great. I'm looking forward to listening to more SACD discs. I purchased 4 to start with but only had time to listen to 1. My receiver which is a VSX-49TX has great DACs in it so when I listen to CDs I use the DACS in my receiver. It also has the legato link feature in the receiver which converts 16 bit to 24 bit so it makes CDs sound great. Because of that the difference between a CD that has a great master & SACD wasn't an astounding difference. SACD still sounded better but not as much as if I didn't have the setup that I have for listening to CDs. You could definitely tell a difference though.

I then tried an MP3 CD-RW disc. I usually encode my MP3s at 192 for good sound. I put 100 songs on the CD. Wow! Great sound. I couldn't tell the difference between the MP3 and the original CD. It briefly tells the 1st few letters of the artist name before it goes to the track. According to the manual you can hit display to show the name, track number, etc. I'll try that later also. The only thing about the MP3 portion of the player I didn't like was some of the MP3s showed unplayable. I may try new MP3s of the song to see if it messed up on the encoding so it will be playable. Out of the first 50 songs there was only 2 that showed unplayable. I didn't hear the player skip at all on MP3s like some people say some of the DVD players that play MP3s do. I was very impressed with this feature.

I didn't get a chance to check the DVD-audio portion of the player out yet. I will compare it to the DV-38A since I have been listening to DVD-audio on that player for awhile. I also will check out a couple of my reference DVDs to hear the Dolby Digital & DTS audio soundtracks and give my opinions. I only had a little time last night after I got home to play around with it. I should be able to check the remaining things out by this weekend.

Overall for the money that I purchased this player for I felt like it was a good buy so far. I am used to a heavier built player so I wish the build quality was a little more but I'm sure that would have pushed the price up. I hope this helps and I'll give my opinions on the remaining function as quickly as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks