Pioneer Elite DV-47A

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stan T, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Stan T

Stan T Stunt Coordinator

Well I should be receiving my Pioneer Elite DV-47A from Soundpros.com tomorrow. They're supposed to be receiving 4 tomorrow from Pioneer. I'll try to give it a quick run through & give my impressions on the unit. I'm looking forward to finally listening to SACD. Unfortunately I haven't heard any of Sony's SACD players so I won't be able to give a comparison to the Sony players.

I currently have a Pioneer Elite DV-38A so I can do a comparison to the DVD-audio on both players. I'll also be trying out an MP3 CD for sound quality and of course the progessive scan for DVDs.

2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

thanks for the heads up stan...i'll definitely be on the look out for your impressions / review.

kevin t

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Stan, thanks for the info. I look forward to your review. The comparison of DVD-Audio on the '38A and '47A should be interesting. By the way, Tweeter in my area still sells the '38A for $1500. I figured the price of the '38A would drop with the introduction of the '47A. In fact, I figured Pioneer would phase out the '38A.

4. Stan T

Stan T Stunt Coordinator

Keith Soundpros.com has the 47A for $750 total including shipping. They're supposed to be driving up to Long Beach tomorrow to get them from Pioneer. I usually drop by to pick my Elite equipment up from them since they're only about 15 minutes away. They're supposed to be receiving 4 units tomorrow.

I'm really looking forward to getting this piece of equipment since it plays MP3 CDs & SACD. I have been enjoying DVD-audio with my 38A.

5. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

Let us know about the severity of the chroma upsampling error on this player- and de-interlacing performance if you can.

Thanks

Andrew Ballew

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Stan, I saw your comments about soundpros.com in other threads. It's nice that you have them in your backyard. You get the personal touch since they pick up components at Pioneer themselves and you can in turn pick up your gear from them. I ordered my Sony MDS-JA555ES minidisc deck from soundpros.com last June. What bothered me was that the deck came from Hawaii for some reason and was not double-boxed. I asked for it to be double-boxed, and they said they would take care of it. They never said it would be coming from Hawaii.

7. EricK

EricK Second Unit

I'll be looking foward to hearing your comments about the 47a.....my contact at CES reported that this piece had horrible chroma bug problems, effectively killing any chance that I would purchase.

Eric.

8. Don Wheeler

Don Wheeler Extra

I have one and watched Waynes World 2 and The Brian Setzer

Orchestra Live In Japan and the picture looked fine to me.

I have a Sony 9000ES as well as several other cheaper players and fortunatly This Chroma bug issue has not been

a problem for me which seems good because it sounds like there are almost no players worth owning because of this.

I mainly purchased this for it's ability to do many formats

9. Stan T

Stan T Stunt Coordinator

Andrew I currently have the DV-38A & it supposedly has the chroma bug but I don't notice it so I don't think it will bother me on the 47A either. I have it hooked up to a Elite 710 & I don't see it on the 64" screen. I guess it bothers some people & some people it doesn't.

10. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Just got the player for my bedroom system. Replaced the Sony 9000ES. Only watched one movie and samples of a few others. No video problems noted on my Samsung 40 inch widescreen LCD projector. Still evaluating the SACD performance and will have a better idea in a week or so. Only have a few DVD-As and had no prior DVD-A player. Will also evaluate it for CDs and will take it into a high-end shop to compare it to other things.

11. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

I was at my local Pioneer Elite dealer and they said that there was a software update available for the 47a that should have corrected the chroma bug problems... Any truth to that?
    -Aaron

12. Barry V

Barry V Extra

I picked up 47A last Wed. Previously had a 37 and the picture on the 47A was equal to the 37. Main player is a Kenwood 5700 and there is no comparison between the two(knew that when I got the 47A). Dvd-a and sacd sounded good especially in 2 channel. Hotel California for dvd-a was very good and MJ thriller on sacd sounded good. Only one different aspect ratio control on the 47A compared to the 37 or 38A. Otherwise 47A seemed basically the same. Front panel is plainer than 37 or 38A and remote is still the same.

13. Stan T

Stan T Stunt Coordinator

Barry what do you mean only one aspect ratio control compared to the 37 or 38A? I'm not sure what you mean by that. I have the 38A but I'm not sure what you mean by aspect ratio control.

14. Gerhard

Gerhard Stunt Coordinator

AaronD!

The chroma bug is a MPEG decoder issue and not easily solved by upgrading firmware (even if that ability was available to DV-47A).

Can you ask your dealer for the exact version number, who supplies it (Pioneer JP or what other branch) and how is it installed?

15. Barry V

Barry V Extra

When viewing on a 16:9, the 47A adds what they call 16:9 compressed, puts bars on the each side of the picture if tv locks on mode.

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Phil, just wondering why you replaced with the 'S9000ES with the '47A. Was it just to get DVD-Audio or was there something you didn't like about the 'S9000ES? Did you compare the '47A and 'S9000ES with DVDs, CD, and SACDs? If so, what did you find? Finally, you said you bought the '47A for your bedroom system. I assume this means that you have a main system elsewhere. If so, what are you using for DVDs there? Again, just curious. The '47A and 'S9000ES are quite nice for the bedroom. [​IMG]

17. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Keith. My bedroom system backs up to my main system (other side of the wall) and I interconnect them. I have limited space in the bedroom system so I have a Samsung 40 inch TV, a Sony 444ES Reciever, Adcom speaker switcher feeding 4 other places from the bedroom and an Onkyo changer that may eventually give way to one of those hard disc storage devices like the Sony. I use the 2nd set of 2-Channel outputs for my main system (and working on the basement not finished yet but have the speakers, mainly B&Ws) which is all Proceed electronics, e.g. PMDT for DVD. The 9000ES was definitely built better and I am breaking in the DV-47A and then since I am tied-up with several things (my main system is totally apart after I chopped my walls-up and ran wire underneath in the unfinished basement ceiling from one side of my room to the other for a Sharp 9000 projector, the 64 inch HD Ready set will go down to the basement). The room is being painted as I write this. I will be giving (the DV-47) it to a friend for a week who works at a highend store so I will have a frame of reference compared to several different products. I want to be able to play all formats. When Proceed adds a 5.1 input to the AVP preamp soon, I will upgrade it and consider the Sony 777 or wait until the next generation or look at the Linn universal player which should be out within 60 days or so. I certainly can live with what I have heard from the DV-47A it in my bedroom system. Don't really need it for regular CDS with my PMDT and even my Pioneer Elite CD Recorder as a transport. From what I have heard to date which is limited, the DV-47A is definitely as good and probably a bit better on regular CDs (using its analog) than the 9000ES which was just as so-so CD player. I will certainly know more in about a week or so after it is broken in and after it is compared to a Marantz SACD and a Rotel DVD-A on a $50-$100k system in the store. I will also be able to tell more when I have my main system back together (Thiel 7.2s as the left and right). Basically, the Pioneer cost me about $120 after I sold the 9000ES which I will expect won't be as desirable in a year without the ability to play multi-channel.

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Phil, thanks for the info. Sounds like a great set-up right now. By the way, if you do get the Sony hard disk recorder, do post your thoughts. I am intrigued by it, especially since J&R sells it for only $429. However, I don't believe the CD drive can act as a CD burner. I would like to not only record my favorite songs to the hard drive, but I would also like to be able to make compilations from the hard drive onto CD-Rs.

19. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Keith, HP also has a device that is $999 at Best Buy that also tunes in internet radio. I like the size of the Sony since I might be able to squeeze my Samsung HD Tuner in my bedroom set-up and then get another for my main room. I don't like the fact the Sony only has an optical digital input and I don't think an output. I will have to check on it. However, it will be in the bedroom system which feeds remote speakers in the garage, outside, office and in-wall dining room so I could live with it.

20. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Phil, I've seen the HP unit at Best Buy, but it is pricey. Plus, I don't know about HP when it comes to audio. Sony has a way of limiting digital inputs and outputs on some non-ES products, and it seems they did so on the HAR-D1000.