What's new

Pioneer Elite DV-45A universal player is out! (1 Viewer)

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Pioneer has introduced their new (and really cheap) universal player. The street price for it is around Cdn$800. With 3-year warranty if you are in Canada (and 2-year if you live in the US)

It plays multichannel SACD and DVD-A with Bass Management

Utilizes trpile Burr Brown 192Khz/24-bit audio processors
54Mhz/10bit Video DAC with 4:4:4 up-sampling
16 video parameter adjustments (w/ 3 user memories)
3 factory video settings (CRT, PDP, and Professional)

Now the question is:... will the chroma-bug still be there?

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
The description of the DV-47A also says it has bass management. Unfortunately, the bass management does not apply to either DVD-A or SACD. I would be surprised if this model has bass management for those formats.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Anybody already own this DVD player to give a comment on Bass Management, 4:3 Shrink, and Chroma Bug (or its lack of) ?

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I'm interested, though I'd want it to be hackable for Multi-region. Anyone seen a mod for this?

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I think the player is too new to be have a region hack. Even the Pioneer's websites (both America and Canada) don't have it up yet.

I can get it at my local B&M for $890 (Canadian) including taxes though (works out to be around US$516

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
$890 CDN? That sounds good. Is it a changer? Was there an older model of this player? Are the DAC's good for playing CD's?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
David,
Thanks for the info. The '45A sounds very promising.
You said:
With 3-year warranty if you are in Canada (and 2-year if you live in the US)
Ah, the Canucks' revenge! Those of us in the US thought we were had you beat by getting a five-year warranty on Sony ES components while you guys get only three years. So, Pioneer evened the score! :)
Matthew,
The '45A is a single-disc player and did not replace anything. It is only Pioneer's third universal player (which puts Pioneer ahead of the game), with the more expensive '47A and 'AX10 preceding it. The '47A supposedly will be replaced by the '47Ai by year's end.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
S&V says that the bass management on the 47a did work for SACD, just not DVD-A. Seemed like it should have been the opposite to me, but that's what they said.
Burr Brown 24/192's, that's something to lust after...
Funny: 3 months ago I was all set to pull the trigger on an Outlaw 950 and a DV-47a about this time. Well, the Outlaw is nonexistent, and here comes the 45a! :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kevin said:
Burr Brown 24/192's, that's something to lust after...
Only if the implementation is good. The once-$180 Pioneer DV-440 DVD player has Burr-Brown 24/192 DACs (at least one :)), and it's no great shakes as a CD player. I would expect the '45A to be much better, but the use of Burr-Brown 24/192 DACs (or any well-regarded DAC you want to consider) is not a guarantee of quality.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I hope somebody can tell us about the chroma-bug, bass management, and 4:3 shrink (which I really doubt due to Pioneer's HDTVs will not lock on progressive)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
David,

Given Pioneer's past record on Chroma Bug, what do you think the chances are this doesn't have it?

Pioneer doesn't care -- if their supplier should manage to fix the bug, then their players will start to not have the bug.

Regards,

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Well, Toshiba used to have chroma bug too, now they don't. Same goes with Denon, now they don't have that anymore.
Panasonic used to have bug too on its 56, now the 82 (although using the same chipset) doesn't have the bug anymore.

So I can only hope for Pioneer since I LOVE all the features on the 45A except for the possibility of the bug.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Panasonic used to have bug too on its 56, now the 82 (although using the same chipset) doesn't have the bug anymore.
The Panasonic RP56 never had the chroma bug. It had it's own problems (often referred to as a "flicker" bug) but never the chroma bug.

Denon still has the chroma bug in its initial MPEG decoder, but the bug is "squashed" by some re-sampling the player does later.

Toshiba no longer has the bug only because their chip supplier (LSI Logic) fixed it on their chips. When Mitsubishi (Pioneer's chip supplier) fixes their chroma bug, then the Pioneer players will be bug free as well.

-Lyle J.P.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
That's why I didn't say "chroma bug" on the Panasonic, I just wrote "the bug" (the name "flicker bug" was not remembered at the time I typed my post).

Have Mitsubishi fixed its chip?

You mentioned that the bug on Tosh have been squashed by it post processing. Pioneer has Pure Progressive II on it 45a, so that's why there is hope.

For me it's either buying the 45a, or stick with my RP56.

The reason for me is because there is not a single DVD-A album I'd like to buy, there are tons of SACD, however, that I'd like to have.

Sony is not an option due to its definite chroma bug.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if the major electronics manufacturers have long-terms contracts with chip suppliers? I am wondering why Denon, Pioneer, Sony, etc. continue to turn out otherwise quality players that have the chroma bug. If they are at the mercy of chip manufacturers to correct the chroma-bug problem, can they not switch suppliers? Obviously some chips out there do not exhibit the chroma bug. Does Denon, Pioneer, Sony, etc. not switch chip suppliers due to contractual obligations, because they are not aware of the chroma bug, or because they don't care about the chroma bug? I'm sure the electronics manufacturers most often go with the chip supplier that comes in the cheapest, but I'm sure other suppliers will match price if given the chance to gain the business of a major electronics manufacturer like Denon, Pioneer, or Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks