Pioneer Elite DV-37

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Horak, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Adam Horak

Adam Horak Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering if anyone here who owns or has experience with this DVD player could offer some opinions. One of my local dealers is getting rid of their demo unit for dirt cheap. I am planning of taking it home for a day to audition. If anyone has any opinions or experiences, positive of negative, I would love to hear them though. I realize it lacks SACD/DVD-A playback, but I use my system for 90% movies anyway.

2. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

I have owned one since the day they first came out.

The Bad: It has a pretty strong case of chroma bug. However, 90% of the time you probably won't notice it unless you're looking for it on a 16:9 monitor. However, when you use this unit on a 4:3 television the downconversion actually exacerbates the chroma bug problem, to the point that it's very distracting. Also, this player has a very slow layer change compared to most. This is a flag reading player, and combs often when fed improperly flagged material. It has no scaling feature, so it's not a good choice for televisions that "lock in full mode" when receiving a progressive scan signal.

The Good: The remote is well designed. The thing is built like a tank with lots of copper shielding inside. It has a very good video de-interlacing mode (much better than the genesis chip). Every aspect of the output can be tweaked (Y/C delay, gamma, etc.) and you can even adjust the weighting of what sort of de-interlacing logic the video mode uses. Also, this unit, if nothing else, is a solid audiophile quality CD player and transport. And, if you ignore the chroma bug, this delivers a very solid picture.

-Lyle J.P.

3. JoeyT

JoeyT Stunt Coordinator

Have on and love it. The chroma bug is a very small trade off for such a good player (cd/dvd). If you can get it for less than 400.00 you should be good.

4. Gary Kellerman

Gary Kellerman Stunt Coordinator

My brother has this unit. It is hooked up in S-Video mode to a 35 inch Sony set. I personally would have liked to have scene it play on my own set vs two players I own.

I think the picture quality in the mode mentioned above is very good. I could not sense any real changes using their adjustment menu. I tried the SRS system. I felt it did not perform what I belive a virtual Dolby system should do.

The Dolby Digital and DTS sound from this player is superb. It is connected with a coax cable to a Yamaha 2095. DTS surround music discs also sounded superb as against previous players on his system from Pioneer and others.

On the analog sound outputs, we found that a Marantz cc65SE Cd changer beat the pants off the Pioneer on CD sound quality.

He paid $500 for this. If you are not interested in DVD-A or SACD and have a quality receiver and speaker system you will most likely be pleased with this unit. Again with the video I can only comment on the S-Video connection and playing interlaced discs which should be more than satisfactory.

5. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

Another thumbs up for the DV-37. I use it to watch all my region 1 NTSC discs (I have 4 players total in use, if you don't count the DVD-Rom in my computer). To maximize the image quality of the unit, you really have to get to know how to tweak the user settings, which does take some time and effort. But once properly tweaked (and I love being able to do a lot of tweaking, as opposed to many users who just want to set it and forget it), the image is wonderful, and I can certainly see why the unit has been on more than one recommended list of DVD players in home theater mags. Yes, it does have the chroma bug, and yes I do notice it on a few discs, but I don't feel it's as bad as many have made it out to be, and the numerous strengths of the DV-37 far out weigh the chroma bug flaw. The unit also is much more capable when outputting component to a widescreen set (or a widescreen cabable set such as my 53" Sony Hi-Scan).

6. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

Adam,

I have one but bought the Denon 1600 to replace it. The DV-37is built like a tank but the chroma problems are very bad. I did not realize it until I had seen my new Denon hooked up to my 16x9 TV. Plus the 37's picture is soft. The 1600 with dvd-a is a big improvement performance wise. It is about 50% smaller and not as tough but I don't intend to toss it around any.

But if you are getting the 37 for less than 300........maybe.

7. James D S

James D S Screenwriter