What's new

Pioneer Elite Cld79 Question (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Was wondering if the s-video or composite was better on this unit?

Any other tips etc very welcome

Thanks

Grant

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'm not too familiar with your player, but for anybody do answer the question well they will need to know what your tv set is (and what comb filter it has).

My (somewhat informed, with partial first-hand experience) opinion is that if you have a modern set with a 3D comb filter, any Pioneer below an Elite 97 or 99 would probably be better off connected with composite. Perhaps someone has a better informed opinion than mine, though...

JerryW

Supporting Actor
It really depends on your TV. If you have a TV with a really good comb filter (3D digital), then use composite. If you have an older TV with a 2 or 3 line analog filter, then use the S-Video. The comb filter in the CLD-79 is pretty darn good and will usually outperform those in most NTSC analog TVs.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
DDDOOOOOHHHH!!!!!!

Forgot the TV ...Sony 32XBR450.. I will be going directly into.

Thanks

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Use the composite input. The comb filter on your Sony is better than the one on the Pioneer.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jerry, I'll try that.

ok I have been wondering what your signature means. sounds like a vacuum tube or something

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
;) So, you got it Grant! You're working your way up. The 79's filter is a 3 line digital filter. It's not bad but your TV's is better. I can well imagine as I have it's 36" big sister. I finally got a copy of MASTER OF THE WORLD and Brett is sending me a copy of WAX MUSEUM. The Vincent Price film fest is underway. Best wishes!

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Rachael

Thanks, Haven't seen a post from Ya in a while, thought you were giving your fingers a vacation. I will let you and Vinc alone ...and just let me know if you get on another quest for Big Discs. I need to budge the TV ( Boy are those things gaining weight!!) to get the video hooked up and then I m in Elite/ES Heaven

Grant

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
You should REALLY compare the two imputs on your TV. Put up various test patterns that would show both hanging/crawling dots (color bars - look at the borders between colors) and moire (finely spaced black and white lines that create false "rainbows"). I wouldn't say that the Sony's comb filter is better unless I conducted these tests :)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
wish I had a LD set up disc but only hace a DVD but I will try both with a few discs and see which one comes out better

Thanks

Grant

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks