Pioneer Elite CLD-99 vs CLD-97

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven_C, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Steven_C

Steven_C Extra

I need some opinions from you resident Laser experts. I have a CLD-99 that I bought new about 3 years ago. It has very little use as it was in storage for 2 years after I bought it and I mostly have watched DVD's in the last year. I just bought a CLD-97 that doesn't have the AC-3 modification done on it. Where can I find an RF kit for this unit? Also, will I see an improvement with the CLD-97 over the 99? My display is an Elite PRO-610HD so the comb filter in it should be as good as the CLD-99's I would think. Or am I wasting my time switching to the 97 and spending the time and money to install the AC-3 Mod? Any opinions or suggestion would be most helpful.[​IMG]

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

If you already have a 99, I can't imagine why you'd want to modify the 97. Opinions vary on which produces the best image, but both are near the top of the heap. Use the 99 for your AC-3 discs; use the 97 for everything else.

One word of advice: It's risky to leave a player in storage and unused for an extended period of time. They're like anything else with moving parts; they need to be worked from time to time.

M.

3. Will Gatlin Jr

Will Gatlin Jr Stunt Coordinator

Steven...

I just bought a mint CLD-704, and I'll use it with my main system, and move my DVL-919 to my bedroom. My girlfriend has the Elite 610, and I want to know your findings between the two players when you get everything right. I have a big LD collection, and I can't wait to view them on her set. I'll be looking out for one of those LD myself. Keep me in mind if you want to part with the 97.

4. Steven_C

Steven_C Extra

Thanks for your reply. The 99 was in storage inside my house in the factory sealed box for two years. I used my DVL-90 during that time for lasers. I'm trying to decide if I should sell either the the 99 or the 97. If I sell the 99 then I will need to modify the 97 for DD.

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Steven, the 97 has better composite output than the 99. The 99's S-video output is a bit better. The Elite set's comb filter is better than either player's. I would tend to think that the 97's composite output would win in a showdown. You should start experimenting and see what you think. All same model players are not created equal.BTW, the 610 has the same comb filter that's in the top Japanese players, the HLD-X9 and LD-S9. It's a good one! Best wishes!

6. Steven_C

Steven_C Extra

Rachael. Actually I just bought the CLD-97 on eBay and won't have it for a couple weeks. I will compare the two at that time. My thoughts are that the 97 composite output running through the PRO-610HD will produce a better picture than the 99 S output. I won't do the RF output mod on the 97 unless this is the case. Are there any other big advantages/disadvantages to either one of these players in your opinion? I hear the side change on the 97 is rather slow. The 99 is not all that fast, my DVL-90 is actually faster. Do you know of any place that is still selling the RF DIY kits for the 97? Thanks for all your help.

Steven Collier

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Steve, I don't know who's selling RF kits. I've never bought one. I was thinking of modifying a CLD-95 I had but I ended up selling the player. Post that question and surely somebody can point you in the right direction.
    The CLD-97 has a much better build than the 99 and should last longer, but the flip-side is that it's older already. I've already had to put a spindle motor in my 99. Spidle motors are the 99's weak point. The biggest wear part on 95's and 97's is the wire that goes to the laser reader. It tends to kink and go bad periodcally but it's a relatively cheap part.
    I've never worried about how fast players flip sides. 2 to 4 seconds faster or slower doesn't matter to me. My HLD-X9 is as slow as any auto-flip player I've ever had but it's my favourite player ever. The players that flip fastest have the EPSILON mechanism. I have a friend that just can't stand it that some players display an image during the flip-cycle. Me, I just don't care. To me any player that does the flip is hunky dory. For a long time I had nothing but single-side players.
    I hope your 97 turns out to be in good shape and ships safely. Best wishes! [​IMG]

8. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
  9. Steven_C

Steven_C Extra

Rachael-Do you happen to have the Pioneer part # for the wire to the laser reader? I would like to order a couple and have them on hand just in case they stop making them. Thanks.

Steven Collier

10. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Steven, why don't you e-mail Kurtis and ask him about it. I never had to fix my 95 and I sold it. I learned of this "syndrome" on a thread here sometime in the past couple of years. Best wishes!

11. Steven_C

Steven_C Extra

Does anybody have Kurtis Bahr's e-mail address? The one in Phil's post doesn't work. Thanks.

12. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Steven,
    Kurtis's email address is [email protected] Looks like the previous address was a typo. Kurtis is a classy guy and knows his stuff when it comes to LD players.
    Jeff

13. Steven_C

Steven_C Extra

Well, I received my CLD-97 a few days ago. It arrived in working order luckily. The condition was described as "Mint". I would describe it as "Very Good" It's funny how often the term "Mint" is misused when people sell items like this. Anyway, I have only watched one movie on it so far. I watched "Christmas Vacation" which I had just watched on my CLD-99. There looks to be less noise on the 97 through the composite output to my PRO-610HD than the 99 through it's S output. I did notice that a couple spots on my disc have some lines that travel from the bottom of the screen to the top for a few seconds. They are more noticeably on the 97 than on the 99. I don't really see much difference on the 97 with the DNR on or off. Makes me think it only works on the S output, however the manual doesn't say that. Is there any adjustment or lubrication area on the 97 that I should have addressed on this beast to possibly improve the performance and operation? The build is definitely more robust the the 99's. Is seems to be a little quieter and vibrates less when it's running. The side change is a little slower than the 99 but not by much. My wife wasn't too upset over the purchase. I even mentioned that I would sell the 99 if this one proved to be a better unit and I did the AC-3 modification on it but she said to just hang on to both of them. What a sport!

Steven Collier

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Steven said:

15. Steven_C

Steven_C Extra

Does anybody have any idea if the DNR works on the composite out, or only the "S" out on the CLD-97? Thanks