What's new

Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD Problems (1 Viewer)

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
I just jumped into the world of Blu-Ray and bought the new Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD player. Generally, I'm very happy with it and Blu-Ray looks GREAT but...

1. I can't get any sound on the Blu-Ray disc extras. A Blu-Ray movie's sound plays fine, but when I select any of the extra material -- no sound. The sound on standard DVDs (including extras) is fine. I have a Marantz SR5001 receiver which I thought could play any kind of audio source. Why would I get sound for the Blu-Ray movies but not for the extras? Is there some kind of difference in the way they encode the sound for extras on Blu-Ray discs?

2. I would have thought that for the expensive price of this player, and the expensive price of Blu-Ray DVDs, they'd be easier to use than standard DVDs, apart from the lengthy load time (which I knew about and expected, and from what I'm told this model's loading time is much shorter than earlier models). But...

The new player won't let me stop and resume watching a Blu-Ray DVD from where I stopped it. It always says "resume off" if I press the stop button and I actually have to load up the menu and select the scene I was watching rather than just hitting "play" and starting up from where I had stopped it. This is an extremely cumbersome process which I've circumvented in some instances by selecting "pause" for brief breaks, but sometimes when real life intervenes I have to stop watching and can't start again for hours at a time or even the next day. However, with standard DVDs on this new player I can just press stop and play and the DVD will resume from where it stopped.

There doesn't seem to be any "last memory" feature with either Blu-Ray or standard DVDs. I've looked at the manual and inspected the remote and can't find anything to let me do "last memory" which I found a very convenient feature as sometimes I would interrupt the watching of one DVD by myself to watch a different one with my husband or friends. Is there a "last memory" feature that I'm missing or is it really not available on the Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Failure to include a proper resume feature is a design flaw which has haunted both BD and HD-DVD software since their inception. I have been told there are some BD players with a resume feature but have no firsthand knowledge of them (if they even exist and if the software can handle it).

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
>Failure to include a proper resume feature is a design flaw which has haunted both BD and HD-DVD software since their inception. I have been told there are some BD players with a resume feature but have no firsthand knowledge of them (if they even exist and if the software can handle it).

That's just....bizarre! But thanks, that does answer one of my questions -- it's not just my player, it's everyone's player.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Now if only I could figure out the sound problem.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Check your player and see if it is set to bitstream sound data for external decoding by the amp. If it is try setting it to decode internally. Your amp doesn't appear to support external decoding of the newer codecs, including Dolby Digital plus. It is possible that the extras on some discs may make use of only a new codec such as DD+ or Dolby True HD.

Does the same thing happen when you play a BD disc that contains DTS Master Audio Only, such as all Fox BDs?

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor

Edwin, I'm sorry, that's all Greek to me. That's why I pay a lot of money to have the Home Theater techs come in and hook it all up for me. If there was some problem like this, they should have known. Anyway, I don't think I own a Fox Blu-Ray disc yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks