What's new

Pioneer Elite 64" vs. Comparable Hitachi and Sony Wega XBR LCD (1 Viewer)

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings-

I'm a "new guy", but have a dilemma I've been wrestling with for over a year. LCD or Rear Projection? And if rear, 64" Hitachi Ultravision or 64" Pioneer Elite?

I like the brightness and viewing angles of the LCD, but worry about dead pixels and blurring. The main drawback for me with rear is the limited viewing angle. The only "real" feedback I get is from the salesmen- I'd like an outside opinion on this one.

Obviously, my main concern is picture clarity and a true HD experience through satellite and the best DVD picture I can get. (I realize the DVD player has a lot to do with this as well).

Thanks for your helps, folks.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Your question doesn't make any sense.

Are you comparing CRT-based RPTVs, and LCD-based RPTVs?

Or an RPTV and a flat-panel LCD?

I'm assuming the first, since I assume you're not comparing a huge RPTV with a tiny littel 15in LCD panel.

A RPTV using an LCD projector or a CRT projector, or a DLP, or any other projector type for that matter, will likely have similar off-angle viewing limits as any other RPTV.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Dan, when asking about specific models of displays, post here in the Display Devices area. The Basics area is for general, beginner-level discussion. And, as noted, you might want to clarify your question a bit. Thanks. JB

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well to me, DLP seems like a better technology. (way debatable), I went with a 60" HD RPTV, and could not be any happier for the moment anyways.

Lateral viewing angles have not been much of an issue with RPT for quite a long time now. Vertical still kind of stinks though on them.

How far from center is your worst view seat?

By the way between those two brands/models, I feel Pioneer Elite has the better picture quality. That probably should not be the only consideration though between the two.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
From what I can tell in my research and shopping this is false. LCD's and DLP have a much better off angle viewing than a CRT based RPTV.

All technologies have their strengths and minuses, its up to you to decide what amount of compromises you are willing to make.

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the 411, Jack.

Sorry, Chris. Let me be more clear-

I am comparing CRT-based RPTVs, and a Sony XBR LCD-based RPTV.

The viewing angle is definately better on the LCD, but I can sacrifice the viewing angle for the best overall picture. I've heard LCD RPTVs have problems in fast moving sequences and issues with dead pixels.

John S- my farthest viewing angle from center will be at most 8-10 feet at side, 12- 15 feet back.

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
By much better, I mean it's closer to a standard CRT TV, whereas the viewing angle begins to drop off quickly as I move around the sides of a CRT RPTV, that drop off is much less with the larger LCDs I've seen- I didn't record an exact angle, however. I'd say at a 45 degree?

John S

Senior HTF Member
I have done some tests with my current CRT RPTV...

12' back and 10' to the side, will probably start to degrade the picture. I conceed.. I'm not so sure DLP won't start to degrade at that point either though.

I can go 12' back and 8' to the side, without any real notice-able degradations. I have seating in this very position.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmnm, well and that is actually 8' from center for me, not from the edge of the TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks