Pioneer Elite 49TX looks mighty tempting

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Longcor, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

In the future I'm looking at an Outlaw 950 + amp, or the Pioneer Elite 49TX. The Elite seems to have more features and just looks like a damn nice receiver. Plus the price at some places for a flagship receiver is super appealing. A little over two grand for one is too good to be true. How is the 49TX compared to the 47TX though. Anyone have any first hand experience?

2. RobertGeo

RobertGeo Agent

allen, this link will give you some info on the 49.
    http://pub106.ezboard.com/faussiedvdandhtforumfrm24
    the diffrence between the 47 and the 49 is-
    49 has dsp processor sharc2 /47 just sharc
    analog to digital converters 49 96/24 (7.1ch)/ 47 96/24 only 2 ch.
    mcacc both have it but 49 is advanced
    49 will do advanced video conversion/ 47 will not
    also the terminals are a little diffrent.
    dig. inputs(assignable) 49 has 8/ 47 has 6
    coaxial 49 has 5/ 47 has 4
    there are a few more but the 47 has some less terminals here and there.
    doubled layer chassis 49 yes/ 47 no
    copper shielded chassis!!!!!!>

3. RobertGeo

RobertGeo Agent

allen, this link will give you some info on the 49.
    http://pub106.ezboard.com/faussiedvdandhtforumfrm24
    the diffrence between the 47 and the 49 is-
    49 has dsp processor sharc2 /47 just sharc
    analog to digital converters 49 96/24 (7.1ch)/ 47 96/24 only 2 ch.
    mcacc both have it but 49 is advanced
    49 will do advanced video conversion/ 47 will not
    also the terminals are a little diffrent.
    dig. inputs(assignable) 49 has 8/ 47 has 6
    coaxial 49 has 5/ 47 has 4
    there are a few more but the 47 has some less terminals here and there.
    doubled layer chassis 49 yes/ 47 no
    copper shielded chassis!!!!!!>

4. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

I'll put in my vote for the 49TX. I think it is an absolutely wonderful unit. Some of us here use addtional amps with it, but even without the extra cash of adding amps, it sounds oh so sweet. It can handle every sound format in the kitchen sink and is built like a tank. I don't think I will feel the need to upgrade for many years to come with this baby. IMO, you can't go wrong with it.

5. Karl L

Karl L Agent

I have been ever so impressed with the performance of my 49tx. Its a beautiful piece of equipment to boot, and it completes my Elite trifecta of ht gear (510hd set, dv-48a dvd). The advice of others such as RajeeK has been invaluable in helping me with my decision, and I feel that for a shade over two grand delivered I got one heck of a deal!

6. RobertGeo

RobertGeo Agent

karl, where did you get the 49tx from? that price sounds good! thanks, rob

7. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

49TX rocks. It's built like a tank but looks beautiful.

And don't overlook the MCACC (automatic acoustic calibration feature) - it's AMAZING. Just put the supplied mike in the best listening position and be quiet while it figures out the best EQ, delay and gain for EACH SPEAKER to give the best overall balance. It's ASTOUNDING. Did I say it was good?

The EQ settings are not editable on the 47TX I believe, but they are on the 49TX although I've never had to edit anything. I did turn down the (manual knob) gain on my sub a bit after calibration because it was a slight bit more bass than I wanted but other than that, my speakers NEVER sounded so good. Many have raved about the center channel, and I'd like to do so also, because I always thought my center speaker sucked until I got the 49TX. Now dialog, even music sounds great and natural.

Many compare the 49TX with the new Denon 5803. But the 5803 is going for $800 or more MORE than the 49TX right now. I'm sure the 5803 is a terrific receiver though.

8. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

9. Jeffrey_S

Jeffrey_S Stunt Coordinator

Yes, the 49TX looks to be an excellent flagship reciever. But what do you guys think about it as compared to a separates system led by an Outlaw 950? I know that the 49TX has more features, but what about the sound quality in both HT and music?

OK, the 950 isn't available just yet, but its sound has been compared to the Anthem AVM-20 and others. Has anybody out there listened to the Anthem or the Rotel 1066 pre/pro for that matter, and a 49TX? Can you clue us in on any qualitative differences with regards to the sound?

Thanks,

Jeff

10. Miguel Stanic

Miguel Stanic Stunt Coordinator

The 49TX ABSOLUTELY KILLS anything out there right now. Pioneer has created a MONSTER of a unit here. This is no HYPE either. I've owned the 5800, 5700 and 5600 from Denon which are all very good receivers. The 49TX, however, is in a totally different playing field. This thing amazed me from the moment I turned it on and calibrated the speakers. I've never heard anything as seamless and clear with movies. Music is spectacular also. I like it better than the 5800's Pure Direct mode. I don't think the 5803 has a chance either because of the Auto Calibration. Pioneer has engineered a product of excellent quality.

11. Jeffrey_S

Jeffrey_S Stunt Coordinator

Miguel,

By anything do you mean separates too? I had auditioned the B&K 307 and it also sounded better to my ears, in my HT than the Denon 5800 (which I also auditioned). The B&K AVR307 is IMHO the best sounding receiver that I have heard. Please note, however, that I have not auditioned a 49TX.

Has anyone auditioned the 49TX against a B&K AVR307 or the separates I've mentioned above?

I haven't ruled out a 49TX in combination with my Rotel 1095 amp. Has anyone heard or auditioned some of the setups I've mentioned above.

Jeff

12. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

13. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

14. RobertGeo

RobertGeo Agent

what kind of prices are you paying for this unit? a little over 2 grand sounds like a deal. is this internet shopping? what site? my dealer has them for 3,500 dollars. thanks, rob

15. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

Rajee is correct. I did replace a B&K 307 with the 49TX.

On 2-channel music, the B&K is a stellar performer, and I might give it a very small edge over the 49TX in this one area. However, for multi-channel and movie soundtracks, the 49TX is the hands-down winner for me. In the area of features, it isn't even close. 49TX is king of the hill, at least right now.

I should add that the addition of a separate power amp for the front three channels (Acurus A200x3) raised the level of the 49TX for music reproduction to the point that it pretty much stomps the B&K, in relative terms of course. Granted, we are now comparing what is, in essence, a pre/pro and power amp combo against a receiver. Even so, I am more than satisfied with the 49TX/Acurus combo.

Edit: I paid $2398 plus shipping from Etronics.com.

16. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

Thanks Obi.

I got mine from Uncles Stereo in NY. Paid $2400, shipped next day, in a new sealed box. Can't beat that.

17. Brian_Crist

Brian_Crist Auditioning

J&R 2499 plus NY tax

Full warranty from authorized dealer, although I purchased mine in store and it is not clear whether J & R will do mail order on Elites. It depends on who you get there I think.

18. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

I got mine from soundpros.com $2550 shipped great people there!.............for these prices the 49tx is a steal this is one powerful unit[​IMG] I moved my ht furniture around and recalibratited wow! this thing just keeps gettin better with everything I throw at it, its right on the money I think it even sounds better! of course my parasound 2205 should get some credit[​IMG] I just picked up Highlander special edition man the dolby digital intro and others are unreal on the 49tx. If you guys are on the fence its no joke this thing is for real brother[​IMG] its time for you guys to pull that trigger
    [​IMG]
    see ya bob

19. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

20. RobertGeo

RobertGeo Agent

thanks for the info on prices/sites. i guess i know what my tax check is going to. rob