What's new

Pioneer Elite 49TX and Paradigm Studio 100's (1 Viewer)

Richie-C

Agent
Trying to find out if anybody else out there is running the 49tx with Paradigm Studio 100 speakers and if so are they having any issues with the 49tx shutting down at high volumes.

That is my set-up and I am experiencing shutdown's at -13 with the fronts set at large and at -8 witht the speakers set to all small. My center is a LCR450 paradigm and my surrounds are paradigm Studio ADP's.

Paradigm says they are compatible with 8 ohm speakers but I don't know what that means. I am trying to find out the spec's for the paradigm speakers from paradigm. The 49tx states that it is to be used with 8 ohm speakers.

Any information or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Disconnect all the speaker cables and reconnect them at the receiver. There is a chance you have a short somewhere, especially if you are using bare wire instead of connectors. Even if it doesn't look like it, do it anyway. Check all the connections for tightness, including at the speakers. Where is the 49Tx located? Does it have ample cooling room? That is a huge amp section and needs plenty of airflow.

Compatible with 8 Ohm obviously means they are slightly less than 8 but should not strain an 8 Ohm amp, certainly not one like the 49Tx. Resistance varies with load, so it is less likely the cause.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
John is correct in that you shouldn't have a hard time running those speakers becuase of the 8ohm issue. However, out of curiousity, do the Pioneers have the 8omh/4ohm switch in the back like the Yamaha's? If so, you could always play with that switch (with power off first) and experiment. However, it should sound better in the 8ohm setting.

The receiver is obviously shutting down due to excessive heat. My first concern would be ventilation around the receiver. Is it kept inside a cabinet? If so, how much clearance do you have around the receiver? They say a good 4" all around is good. However, I would also recommend instaling some kind of exhaust fan in any cabinet to circulate the air out of the cabinet.

It is always in your best interest to ensure that your equipment is well ventilated as heat is the number one killer of all electronic and machanical equipment.

I would also recommend using compressed air to clean your equipment. Dust can easily get into components which hinders the natural cooling process (by clogging air ways and even heat sinks).

- Mike

Richie-C

Agent
The receiver is on the top of my component rack, which is an open air rack so the issue is not with the enclosure. I will disconnect all of the speaker wires tonite and re-connect them.

The Pioneer tech asked me to disconnect all of my speakers and run the 49tx with no speakers first and see if it shuts off and then if it is ok to add one speaker at a time and see if it shuts off.

As far as a 4 versus 8 ohm switch, I am not aware that the 49tx has this option.

Thanks,

Rich

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Richie, let me know how you made out cause I have a 49tx with studio 100s but I use a parasound 2205 to push them! But if you are still having problems I will connect them to the 49tx amp section and try it;)
good luck Bob

Richie-C

Agent
OK guys I disconnected my speakers last night from the 49tx and then loaded Top Gun in my DVD player and played the DVD starting at -10 and then quickly moved it to 0, the 49tx shut down at -1 with no speakers attached.

I connected one of my Studio 100's and it shut down somewhere between -5 and 0. I didn't go any further with it as I was pressed for time last night.

I think my 49tx has an issue with the amplifier. I have a CineNova Grande on order and should receive it early next week and am now debating on whether I should send the receiver back or keep it after I get the Nova.

Shouldn't the receiver run well over 0 without shutting down with no speakers attached to it?

Rich

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Ritchie,

When you disconnected the speakers, did you go in the menus and set the speakers to "none", or whatever Pioneer uses to flag the speakers as not there. If it thinks there's a speaker attached it might still try amplifing the signal which will still cause heat. You indicated that when the speakers are set to small you can play it louder, so I'm thinking if you tell it that there are no speakers it should not shut down at all.

How does it handle two channel stereo with the 100s attached?

- Mike

Larry Becker

Agent
I have my 49TX set up with Energy Veritas 2.3's for L/R, a 2.0C. 2.0R's, and some old Infinitys in the back. My normal volumn is max -15, but just to annoy my kids/wife/cat, I've run it up to 0 for a short time and it's frightening. I haven't had a shutdown issue.

Some have had this problem before running MCACC but not after. Have you run MCACC yet? If not, you may be pumping excessive power to uncalibrated channels and causing the shutdown. Or may have a problem 49tx? Some have theorized that early build 49tx's have the problem, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Mine was built in 10/01 -- one of the earliest ones I've heard of.

I don't have the $$ to do this, but I HEAR that a kind of ultimate solution is to use the 49tx for a pre-pro with some really decent amps attached. Sounds like you're heading in that direction?

Larry

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If it shuts down with no speakers attached, I would return it for another one. It sounds like it will still shut off, even with the external amp.

I have never seen an amp that you can turn ALL the speakers off. You at least end up with the two mains. I have everything but the two mains shut off on my bedroom system.

Richie-C

Agent
Larry, I am already running with MCACC on.

Yes, I am going to use a 5 channel amp with the 49tx but I am concerned about whether the 49tx will be able to drive the rear backs without shutting down.

I have the name of one of the tech. support supervisors at Pioneer that I am planning on calling today.

Rich

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Richie, I havent heard of many people having problems with the 49tx, but thats not to say that your unit is not defective are you still under the 30 day period? if so demand another unit! and if it happens again you will be using an amp for mains center and surrounds like me and the 49tx has no prob pushing the rears so it really wont effect performace or you wont have any shutdowns again:D
good luck Bob

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
An amp shutts down without any "load"?
That's a clear sign of a problem right there,I would definitally return it for another one.
This is the one thing that most Pioneer/Elite are "suffereing" from:"weak" amps even when they "work".

RajeeK

Second Unit
This is the one thing that most Pioneer/Elite are "suffereing" from:"weak" amps even when they "work".
I'm not sure that is a very accurate statement with regards to the 49TX. It actually provides MORE power than a Denon 5803 to all speakers in multichannel modes. The Denon bests it in 1/2 channels driven but after that, the 49TX actually wins power wise. I wish I had the exact #'s right now, but we are in the middle of a move and the paperwork I had on it is packed away at the moment.

With regards to the shutdown problem, I have heard of some units possibly having "software" problems, which is what you may be experiencing.

Richie-C

Agent
I thought that I had posted this before but it isn't showing up. Can someone explain to me how to measure the ohms that the speakers are running at. The service tech said to measure the ohms with a meter to see if there was a short in one of the speakers. Do I measure the points between the + and - speaker posts while playing the dvd that shuts down the receiver?

How do I know if there is a short?

Any help would be appreciated.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks