Pioneer elite 49 reference dvd player!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BobRoulier, Jul 30, 2002.

1. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

I was visiting my local Tweeter today and when I arrived I had just missed the Pioneer rep[​IMG] Any ways I spoke with the sales guy who drained him of info on all the latest and greatest and among other things a reference dvd player 49something will retail around $3000.00 now I am not a technical guy so bear with me it will be using 3 chips versus 1 in most dvd players whatever that means (Keith ?) he mumbled a lot more technical stuff but of course in one ear and out the other[​IMG] I imagine it will be one hell of a player hopefully it will be built like a tank. I would guess it will street around $1500. Keep in mind this is only second hand info I don't think Pioneer has announced this yet! the rep said the market wasn't quite ready yet whatever that means? The sales guy was pretty pumped up about all the new news and he had just spoken to the rep so I would think Its gonna happen just a matter of when[​IMG]
    If anyone has clearer picture (no pun intended) of what's going on please chime in[​IMG]
    Bob

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Bob, it supposed to be something inbetween the DV-AX10 and DV-47, a multi-format mah-sheen. Nobody seems to know much about it but it's alledged it might be ready for Christmas. I'm intrested! I've been wanting to give my RP91 the boot... Best wishes!

3. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Rachael,

why would you want to give the 91 the boot? I think it is a great player.

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Juan, I don't like it as a DVD-A player and I want a universal player to plug in my 5.1 input. It is a great DVD-V player, no doubt. I might add I don't care for the 91's ergonomics or remote either. The new Pioneer will have to be seriously good to displace the 91 though or I'll continue to wait... Best wishes!

5. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

From what I hear, the 49 will have firewire output for DVD-A and SACD digital out (which can be plugged into their new VSX-49TXi receiver coming out in October), and will also feature 4:4:4 video processing.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but most DVD players process video as 4:2:2, and the chroma bug is caused by some MPEG chips doing the 4:2:2 incorrectly. If the Pioneer 49 is a true 4:4:4 machine, does that mean it will be chroma bug free, regardless of the MPEG decoder used? If so, an "every format" chroma-bug free Pioneer Elite machine would truly be the Holy Grail of DVD players.

-Lyle J.P.

6. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

I think it comes down to the MPEG decoder. The Toshiba 4700 has 4:4:4 video processing and has the bug. Pioneer just has to choose wisely on the MPEG decoder or force them to fix the decoder, like Denon did on the 9000.

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I'm betting that the i-link will only carry DVD-V. That's the only thing that's certain about it. It might carry DVD-A? I seriously doubt it will carry SACD.

8. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

It is stated on Pioneer Japan website that the fire wire WILL carry DVD-A and SACD 5.1 signal. It wasn't mentioned anywhere, however, about the ability to pass through video signal.

9. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    David, is it in English that most of us can read or Nipponese? If this works out, I might use a Pioneer reciever as a pre. Best wishes!

10. David Susilo

It was in Japanese. I didn't personally went to the website but just saw the printout of the website shown to me by our company's liaison officer (he is Japanese). Supposedly the MCACC is also 9-band instead of 7-band. Just like anything else, specs can change without notice.

11. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

The original 49tx has a 9 band eq there is no 7band the 47tx and 45tx have 5 band so 9 band isn't an upgrade.

Daniel Smith

12. David Susilo

OIC. Thanks for the clarification.

I always thought that in terms of MCACC:

43TX = 5-band manual
    45TX and 47TX = 5-band auto
    49TX = 7=band auto.

I guess I was badly wrong.

13. Phil_DC

Phil_DC Stunt Coordinator

Bob are you talking about the Elite DV 47i dvd player due out soon which is just there 47a with firewire? Or is this something totally new?

I was all set to get a Denon 9000 now you have me curious.

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bob,
    Thanks for the information. This new Pioneer player sounds like it will be great. It could be a real giant killer. I wonder how it will compare to the Marantz DV-8300.
    Phil,
    I believe the player that Bob mentioned will be different from the forthcoming '47Ai. The '47Ai will replace the '47A, which retail for $1200. I suspect there will be one model above the '47Ai.
    All,
    I really like what Pioneer is doing. It looks like Pioneer is set to have three universal players in the Elite range: the '45A, '47Ai, and this '49 model. [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. David Susilo

Will the dreaded chroma bug still be there, though?

16. Phil_DC

Phil_DC Stunt Coordinator

I am going to pump the only Pioneer Elite dealer in my town for information, I will see what he knows.

If I find out anything I will post it here.

17. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lyle, I've heard talk about that in the past, but Marantz integrates it's own technology, especially on the audio side (HDAM, etc.). In any event, the '8300 is already with us or soon to be with us as the most expensive universal player (not counting the Pioneer DV-AX10, which is no longer in production and does not do multi-channel SACD). I would first like to see how the '8300 compares to the Elite '47A. Given the asking price of the '8300, I would expect it to be better, but one never knows. If the '8300 turns out to be the better machine, then I would like to see if Pioneer can top it with the '49 player, which is expected to retail for more than the Marantz unit. In the end, the '49 would give Marantz a new toy to work off of in the quest for The World's Best Universal Player. [​IMG]

19. WarrenCo

WarrenCo Agent

Anyone know if the Firewire output of the Pioneer 47i work with any other recievers or pre's. I have the Integra RDC-7.

Thanx

20. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

From what I understand the 49 will be pioneers flagship reference dvd player which should retail around $3000.00 not to be confused with the 47ai. Hopefully the 49 will be chroma bug free[​IMG]
    Thanks Bob