Pioneer Elite 47Tx versus Marantz 8200/9200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Myron, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Myron

Myron Agent

I've been strongly considering the Pioneer Elite 47TX as its a 7.1 system with a lot of very desirable features. Its been a real consideration between it and the Outlaw 770/950 systems with the Pioneer leading right now due to the extra features.

But today I decided to try to have my wife contact a local "HT dealer" who carries several brands to find out some information about their store and what they carry, etc. My wife mentioned we're considering the Pioneer and the first thing the dealer stated was that he recommends the Marantz's and strongly discourages the Pioneer's as the latter are not at all quality. He can get the Pioneer's but don't feel they are very good.

From everything I've read, the Pioneer Elite line is every bit the equal of the Marantz, but maybe a bit cheaper priced, especially when you consider that the Marantz 9200 is about 2800 and the Elite can be had for 1800-2500.

Unfortunately, this dealer is very typical of the dealers in the area where I live and is a good reason why I'm not leaning towards purchasing from local dealer, even though I don't mind paying a bit extra for "good quality" service.

Is the Marantz 9200 or 8200 either seriously better than the Pioneer Elite? For example, I'd consider both the Denon 5803 and the Naim Nait amplifier to be seriously better than the Pioneer Elite 47Tx, but the price is also noticeably higher.

Or is this a case where the dealer is authorized to sell Marantz and not Pioneer and not being totally honest, wants only to sell his products, regardless?

2. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

If you do decide to go with the pioneer I would be glad to help you get a god price from a nauthorized retailer. BTW both receivers are great in my humble opinion.

3. Myron

Myron Agent

Thanks, I may take you up on that offer for a good price. I'm still doing a lot of research. At the moment, I haven't seen anything with a better price performance ratio with 7.1. But am still looking at various options (and reading).

Probably will make final decision in about two weeks after I've returned from a couple of trips.

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

5. Gianni

Gianni Agent

Myron,

Having spent the better part of two months researching my next purchase I would like to offer the following suggestions:

1) Do not get to wrapped up in specs--they don't mean much and are an unreliable indicator of performance. Published specs are even less reliable for HT receivers than in traditional audio.

2) Listen, Listen, Listen. Audition with speakers as close as possible to the ones you will be using if you can't demo the same type. This includes sensitivity and impedance. If there is a possibility you will want the ability to use 4 ohm speakers this is especially important.

3) Do not fall into the trap of selecting a product because of features. Only the features that you really want--the deal breakers, should factor into this.

Finally, If you value music listening as much as home theater, take your time, look for quality especially in the power supply area of your selected receivers. Of the units you mentioned, I only have experience with the sr8200--it is able to handle 4 0hm loads. You might try eCoustics.com, many good articles. Good luck!

6. Myron

Myron Agent

Gianni,
    I've been researching and researching. One serious problem I have on getting many demos is that I travel extensively. And I only found one decent dealer that I trust either home or on the road and he's 2 hours away from where I'm at part of the time so its not an option to visit this dealer very often.

Most of the dealers, I've found, are schlock and their setups for demoing amps/receivers is abysmal at best. Or they're totally uninterested in any brand but the "brand of the month that they're pushing that month". They may stock and sell other brands, but on a given month won't allow you to demo those brands. Just one brand you're not interested in at all.

As a consequence, I don't get to audition much.

So I've been reading and reading. Plus lurking on several forums/bulletin boards.

There are certain features that I absolutely must have that I've decided on and others that to me are just window dressing. They're nice but if they're not there, so what.

The speakers I've pretty much settled on are 6-8ohm so driving them from something like the Pioneer shouldn't be too much of a problem.