What's new

Pioneer Elite 47ai vs Denon DVD 1600 (1 Viewer)

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have the Denon DVD 1600 and was thinking of selling it for a Pioneer Elite 47ai. I think the Elite has the chroma bug, and I know the Denon doesn't. What are your opinions on this idea?

My TV is a Mits 65" HDTV WS-65869

Thanks in advance!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The 47ai does have the chroma bug. But...

a) It is less apparent on the Pioneer than a lot of other players (Onkyo 800, Pioneer 45a, Marantz 8300...)

b) I have had Pioneers for years (414, 333, 05, 45a, 47ai) and have never seen it on a 27 - 32" CRT TV. But... I've never gone looking for it either. :) A lot of people, once they know what to look for, *always* see it.

c) I like Pioneer players (especially the audio), but if you have a Denon and like it, why not look at the 2900? Similar price as the 47ai. Or even the Denon 2200?

Or maybe even look at the cheaper Pioneer 563 as I believe that it doesn't have the chroma bug.

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
A.) Good to know, I don't want to deal with that chroma bug. :)

B.) I have a 65" HDTV and I am pretty concerned with the size I may see it more easily.

C.) Well, I LOVE the Elite series anything, the looks, performance, everything. I am not so happy with my Denon, I think it loads to slow for my taste, my wife hates that part of it. I had the Denon DVD 2800 before the 1600, and I didn't like it much. Since I have a Elite 53TX receiver, I would like to match that with an Elite DVD player, I don't have use for the ilink, but that player seems to be a decent one.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
OK... :) Pioneer has a new one, the 59AVi coming out soon, that reportedly will *not* have the chroma bug. List will be $1600, and I expect street will be $1200-ish. I'm waiting for this one too. :D

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
Sheesh, I heard about that one, but that price tag is killer. I will hold out for clearance 47Ai's! :) I have a hookup at a local Ultimate, I can probably get a 47 at a decent price, I just want to make sure it's worth it.

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Kevin,

I own a Mitt 65" and had the elite 37. Awful! Don't sell your denon 1600 [the model i use now] until you read and re-read Secrets of HIFI testing data again.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/main.html

I would never trust Pioneer until the reviews come out and the machine has been put through the above tests.

AndyHangartner

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,
If you want to see the 47ai on a Panny 65 HDTV,e-mail me. I am local to you. I think the picture is fantastic. I had the RP91 and the famed 82 and neither came close to the 47ai in PQ.
andy

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The 47ai actually tests out to be the best Pioneer (or Pioneer-based) player on Secrets, FWIW. (Onkyo 800, Marantz 8300, Pioneer 45a...) The 37 is 2 or 3 generations older than the 47ai. Even with the chroma bug, the 47ai still ended up better than ~1/3 of the players they tested. And, the 47ai got product of the year by Home Theater Magazine. Remember that even Secrets says that its tests are meant to highlight small differences between players.

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
Well I appreciate all the responses. I am still up in the air on this one. Maybe I will check out the Denon 2900 and see how it looks. I am just not happy with the load speed of the DVD 1600, everything else seems to work great, if it loaded quick I wouldn't want to change units. I like the size and looks of the 47ai, but HATE how cheap the 45a is, so it's gonna be the 47ai or nothing. I really like the size of the Denon 2800, if the 2900 is just as tall then that may be a choice, but only if the load time is quicker.

Thanks again for the help guys!!

Andy - I sent you a PM on checking out the player!

gregD

Second Unit
You might take a look at the seldom-discussed Yamaha DVD-S2300... it's a universal player that has no chroma bug, according to 'Secrets'... well-reviewed, no problems discussed on forums... should be had for $800 or so... might be a very worthy player that got lost in the shuffle while most everyone else chased after the Denon 2900.

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Greg, I will take a look at that one as well. I kind of wish Yamaha was a little more flashy though, I am in to that look style :D

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The 2300 is interesting because:

1) Secrets rates it quite highly for video
2) S&V reviewed it a while ago, and their measurements pointed out problems with noise for (I think) all audio formats except for SACD. They said not really audible mind you, but higher than other players
3) TPV just reviewed one, and really liked it
4) The TPV article mentioned that Yamaha told them it used Yamaha DACs
5) But when they opened it up, it had Analog Device DACs
6) Could be, that based on the bad S&V measurements, that Yamaha swapped the DACs the player used
7) But if you look real close at the picture of the back of the unit that TPV reviewed, it was manufactured in June of 2002 (or something), so the timing doesn't work

Anyway. :) I personally always thought it was cool that Pioneer "redid" the 47a to the 47ai based on the bad reports of SACD sound quality (among other changes, they went from Cirrus DACs to Burr Browns), and I thought that maybe the Yamaha was another case.

Oh yeah, based on the TPV's review of the 2300, they gave it their DVD Player of the Year Award. But... :) They said that the video on the 47a was better. Go figure...

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
Damn Kevin, that's awesome feedback dude! Gives me a good starting point on the player. What are your thoughts on the Denon DVD 2900 vs the two I will be checking out, Pioneer and Yamaha? Seems like you have done some research on this before :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks