What's new

pioneer elite 47a (1 Viewer)

Juan Escobar

Auditioning
If anyone have the pioneer elite 47a, I am looking to upgrade my dvd, my first choice was thr pany rp91 but I will like to have sacd in the same unit, and the pioneer does dvd video,sacd and dvd audio, any input?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Juan, welcome to the Forum. The '47A isn't out yet, but since it is slated to be available in a few weeks as Rob stated, I am hopeful that it won't be too long before reviews start popping up here.

Rob Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,

Not sure if you saw it or not, but there was an audio review at the end of the 5th page of the thread I referenced.

Video reviews were very positive in prog scan, and very negative in interlaced mode. That seemed to be the theme throughout the thread.

I'm anxiously awaiting this machine, as well as the Outlaw 950, and some new amps too.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rob, thanks for the info. I'll have to check that out. I didn't follow that thread all the way through. I am disappointed to hear that the '47A is lacking in some way in interlaced mode.

Rob Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,

This is from the last post on page 4:

Tested the 747 in my system last night. Thanks to TK Chan for letting me play with the machine.

My reference setup:

Panasonic RA71 S-video to my iScan Plus V1 to my NEC XG85 CRT projector in component 480p.

Test setup 1:

747 S-video to my iScan Plus V1 to my NEC XG85 CRT projector in component 480p.

The picture is clear and clean. Very refine and high resolution. VERY VERY little edge enhancement enhancement!

The chroma bug is VERY annoying. After push up the Gamma and brightness (Black Level) and use the 7.5 IRE, the shadow detail still can't match the Panasonic RA71. Picture dynamic is lacking in comparesion. Color rendition looks a bit dull and has a green cast fleshtone.

Overall, my reference setup gives a MUCH better picture.

Test setup 2:

HTPC, Radeon display card, ATI player 5.0 to my NEC XG85 CRT projector in RGB 480p.

Every bit as great as my reference setup with even better color rendition.

Test setup 3:

747 component progressive to my NEC XG85 CRT projector in component 480p.

Picture dymanic is MUCH improved. Film source 3/2 pulldown deinterlace performance match the iScan V1 IMO. Video source field/frame deinterlace looks BETTER than the iScan V1. Much less jagg and stairstep while mentain a high resolution and detail picture. IMO I perfer it over the Faroudja DCDi process!

I need to do more test on the 747 progressive output.

regards,

Li On

From page 5:

About the iScan V1, in case you missed, I would say it again, the V1 gives a WAY better image quality in my system and all the setup I tested. And yes, the V2/V3 does has better deinterlace performance but deinterlace quality alone don't make a great video processor to my eyes. I suggest you check the V1 again!

Just watched the 747 in progressive a few more hours with many clips. Deinterlace performance isn't that good when more materials are tested. I'd say close to iScan V1 but not up to V2/3 and the Faroudja line up. Video source deinterlace is again EXCELLENT. VERY sharp and HIGH resolution while keep the artifacts at min. If there's a standalone processor using the chip, I'll take it anyday over the FLI2200's DCDi.

Chroma bug looks somewhat confusing. In video source playback, chroma bug is VERY annonying as I said before. In film source (including ToyStory) playback, chroma bug is MUCH reduce. It is still there if you look for it but most people may not even notice. IMO the chroma bug effect in film source playback is accepable and you know I'm VERY picky!

If Pioneer will ever put out a chroma bug free player, I'd say go for it!

regards,

Li On

More page 5:

The Pioneer DV47 S-video looks like crap compare to my Panasonic RA71. The progressive scan is another story...

regards,

Li On

More page 5:

The DV-S747A sells so well in Japan that it is now out of stock everywhere, Pioneer can keep up with the demand.

Much more on page 5, I hit some of the highlights, but there is more there. I would read that whole page if I were you. Except for pictures, I really didn't see any hard info on the pages before 5. Just one thing to consider, the guys commenting on these players are from Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Singapore. The model numbers don't line up with ours, but they are the same unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks