Pioneer Elite 27tx problems (somewhat long)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Laskowski, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Bill Laskowski

Up until a month or two ago, my Pioneer Elite 27tx receiver worked fine, but then problems--many of them documented by other owners of that generation of Pioneer Elite receivers--began cropping up. Sound would drop out when switching from a Dolby Digital signal to a non-DD signal, such as when changing from the Starz DD signal from my satellite dish to another channel's, or switching to my dvd player's DD signal. And then the DTS signal disappeared, and when it reappeared, it was corrupted, heavy with static.
    But the problem that was unique and unreported by others was the freezing of the test tones in the set-up menu. The tones stayed in the left front channel and would not move, either from the auto or manual prompt. The service center technician says Pioneer hasn't heard of this problem either, and that the whole DSP board has to be replaced. (Now I'm sweating whether the unit is covered by the warranty, since it was purchased over the net.)
    Anyone else heard of similar problems?
    Bill Laskowski

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Never heard of that problem, I used to own a 29 and now own a 39. Dont sweat the over the net thing, just submit your receipt when you take it in for warranty work. Dont bring up the issue and they wont ask (hopefully). Lots of luck,
    Gregg
    ------------------
    The Sonodome
    The Newest Sonotube
    Gregg's DVDs
    The Family Units

3. Bill Laskowski

Gregg--
    Thanks for the tip, but the service center asked for a copy of my receipt before they would order the board (it runs over $400), and then Pioneer refused to authorize the repair, so now I am in service limbo, with a case number and not much hope.
    Based on information elsewhere on the net, I think my technician may have solved my most pressing problems (sound dropouts) already by resoldering the ICs to the original board, a solution that has worked for others. But the test tones still won't work, and I hate to pay that much just to fix one minor fault. But then I can't change any of my speaker settings, so it isn't so minor. I think it might be time to go Denon.
    Bill

4. Mike R

Mike R Auditioning

Bill, I feel your pain. My 29tx just died, and the service center says the DSP board is bad. Just like you I bought mine over the internet so they won't accept the waranty. So I get to fork out $475 for parts and labor....Ah, it looks like Parasound separates in the future for me....No more Pioneer Recievers!!! [​IMG]

5. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Guys, I bought my Elite 29 on the net. they replaced the remote once, fixed another problem once, and then finally replaced the receiver with an Elite 39. If if was an item that your dealer bought through Pioneer USA there should be no problems. It is when dealers buy 'grey market' gear from other countries, that is why they wont honor out of country warranty stuff.
    Lots of luck!!
    Gregg
    ------------------
    The Sonodome
    The Newest Sonotube
    Gregg's DVDs
    The Family Units

6. Bill Laskowski

Gregg--
    I hope you're right about Pioneer. My warranty clearly states that my unit is covered by Pioneer USA. I bought the unit over the net because I'd have to travel 300 miles (or to Canada) to find an authorized Elite dealer--there are none in my state (and it's not a small one). I'm a fairly loyal Pioneer customer: this is my third generation of Pioneer receivers, along with a Pioneer dvd player and a 704 LD player. We'll see what their decision is.
    Bill

7. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

The problem with these receivers is that they get very hot if placed in a tight spot, (rack) or if something is on top of it. The 1st thing that goes is the DD/DTS decoder board. Did your receiver get very hot?
    I had a VSX-29TX and it worked fine. But since its in a rack, I bought cooling fans to keep it cool. Head to my site to see what I did.http://www.geocities.com/figarou_dvd

8. Bill Laskowski

Evelio--
    I had nothing on top of my receiver other than about 6 feet of air--I rearranged my whole equipment setup for this. The case would get fairly warm, but never uncomfortably hot to the touch.
    Many, maybe even most people, like you, have had good luck with these receivers. But a significant number of purchasers of the VSX-20-something generation of Elites have described similar problems to mine (see various reviews atwww.audioreview.com). I just haven't seen anyone describe the test tone function disappearing. What is particularly frustrating is that I was about to complete my latest 5-year upgrade plan with the purchase of an SVS subwoofer. Now I'm back to square one ("Yes dear, I really do need a new receiver and a new subwoofer").
    Good luck with your move!
    Bill
    Bill

9. Evelio Figueroa

10. Bill Laskowski

Just to add what I hope turns out to be a happy coda to this story: Pioneer has authorized repair of this unit. My experience with Pioneer's customer service department over the years has been very satisfying.
    Bill

11. Stan T

Stan T Stunt Coordinator

Evelio where did you find out the VSX-49TX would be $3500? Has Pioneer released the price of the receiver? I'm still waiting on the new Elite 2001 Summer Catalog. You should be able to get it considerably less at soundpros.com They're great guys to deal with. Any idea when this receiver is coming out?

12. Evelio Figueroa