Pioneer DVR510HS or Panasonic DMRE80HS?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ScottieZ, Nov 30, 2003.

1. ScottieZ

ScottieZ Auditioning

I am looking to get a DVD recorder with a hard drive. The Pioneer and the Panasonic look pretty comparable. Does anyone have either, and what is your opinion? Which has better editing features? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

They're similar players. Pioneer records to DVD-RW, while Panny records to DVD-RAM. IMO, choose your recorder based on this primary difference & price. I have the Panny DMR-E80. I think DVD-RAM provides the best editing features; it really behaves like a removable hard-drive. You can do lossless transfers to/from the hard-drive & DVD-RAM. Of course, only a handful of players play RAM discs (namely Panny & Toshiba). "VR" mode -RW discs will play on Pioneer players, while "video" mode -RW's will play on quite a few players. But, if you want the best compatibility, you're going to burn keepers to DVD-R anyway, which both recorders support. Like I said, which recorder you choose comes down to whether you'll like the editing features of -RW or -RAM. Here's a good article that may help you.

3. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

I have heard much better things about the Panasonic. I have heard plenty of negative about the Pioneer; many people complaining about subpar picture quality for one.

Also, you can't edit a thing on the Pioneer and the Panasonic has basic editing features. Plus, no subscription fees with the Panasonic. Not to mention the Panasonic has a firewire input and the Pioneer does not.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

Any differences in the progressive scan chips and/or output?

jdg

6. Brajesh Upadhyay

Panny uses its own flag-reading chip. 480p picture is so-so & it's plagued by the chroma bug. I don't know what chip the Pioneer uses, but if it's the same as the chip in the 563A, then it easily beats the Panny's.

7. Bob Bre

Bob Bre Auditioning

I had a question about this CPRM copy protection technology. Somebody on Amazon.com who bought the Panny say's it comes with this feature, and that it is used to protect broadcasts that are allowed to be recorded only once (e.g. some CATV broadcasts). This means that if you recorded the broadcast of Law and Order, for example, (and if this program is braoadcasted with this protection,) YOU WILL BE UNABLE to record it to a DVD and keep it for later. Does the Pioneer have this also, and does anyone have any experience with it? Also, Tom B. mentions above that the editing features of the Panny are better. Does that mean the Ram vs. RW, or HDD against HDD. I'm more concerned with the editing of the Hard Drive, cause if you have that, the disc format won't matter too much. (They both have -R and that seems to be the most versitle.) I appreciate any input. Thanks

8. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

I read somewhere that you can't edit stuff that was recorded with Tivo on the Pioneer. Eg, you can't edit the commercials out, but I can't say this is true or not. I have the E80 and like it lots.

9. ScottieZ

ScottieZ Auditioning

Thanks alot for the information. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to reply.[​IMG]

10. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

11. Brajesh Upadhyay

12. Michael Reuben

13. Thomas Brown

Thomas Brown Extra

I have the Panasonic. It was a little cumbersome to operate at first but you quickly get used to it. Many features. Good quality video from the HDD. Got a surprise yesterday though...I bought a DVD audio CD and found out the Panasonic will only output stereo signal rather than Dolby Digital or DTS. Weird. I wonder why it would process a movie soundtrack in 5.1 surround but not DVD audio? I scoured the manual and there it was in the fine print....stereo only.

14. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

15. Michael Reuben

16. Michael Fein

Michael Fein Auditioning

If I opt to go with the Panasonic with no firewire vs. the Pioneer with firewire, is there really going to be a significant difference in quality when transferring video from a mini dv camcorder? You see, I'm also looking at upgrading not only to a DVD Recorder but also buying a new camcorder as well. If quality is an issue but I go with Panasonic, I could go with The new Sony camcorder that uses DVD media and not tapes. That way there would be no issues in regards to whether or not there is a firewire. Any comments would be appreciated.

17. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

The 100 also has higher speed (4x?) to copy from HD to DVD-R, I believe. It also can generate menus with images for each chapter. The 80 only can generate a text menu with the chapter names you entered.

18. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

19. Michael Fein

Michael Fein Auditioning

Scott, thanks for your remarks. That definetley helps in making my decision. I hear a lot of good things about the Panny, but as I said, I hear hardly any info on the Pioneer which makes me skeptical of that product. Happy Holidays!

20. OwenRubin

OwenRubin Extra

I just bought a DMR-E80H and I must say, that while this device has a lot of options, I am not happy with it and consider returning it.

My first gripe is that there appears to be no high speed HD to DVD-R transfer mode, or I cannot make it work. Secondly, it also appears that when "dubbing" from the HD to a DVD-R, it plays and re-records the video onto the DVD, IN REAL TIME! I recorded 6 hours of video onto the hard disk from videotape in EP mode. I used the divide program to make 6 separate "programs", set the DVD-R compatibility mode on (which claims to do high-speed transfers) and tried to dub the material onto a DVD-R.

I was first told that high-speed mode could not be used, but not why it could not be used. Secondly, the unit started playing back the HD video and recording it onto the DVD-R. ANOTHER 6 hours later, my DVD was "ready". I was required to "finish" the DVD-R before it could be used in other players. (Note that it will still play in the Panasonic unit unfinished, but chapters and programs are not available until finished.)

I took the DVD and put it into my other DVD player. A menu appeared with my 6 programs on it, that was cool but the menus are ugly. I played the DVD, and the quality was horrible. I do not mean bad in the EP style or low quality, but bad as if program on the DVD had been RE-ENCODED again in EP mode, making it EP "squared" content, 10 times worse than the original! A side-by-side comparison of the HD video with the DVD video showed significant quality loss on the DVD over the HD material.

Other issues I have with this unit: the remote and menu response seems VERY slow, and on occasion, the unit simply powers down on its own (could I have a bad power supply?)

Ok, a few additional questions then:
    1). Why does this unit simply not transfer the already encoded digital program material directly to the DVD? Is there a way to do this?
    2). After reading the entire manual, I cannot find if a high-speed mode fro HD to DVD-R even exists. Actually, it says just the opposite, high-speed is only for DVD-RAM to HD! Does a high speed dub exist?
    3). Does this unit really re-encode the video onto the DVD. If no, what causes the additional quality loss?
    4). On several occasions, when trying to dub from HD to DVD-R, after several minutes, the unit has simply shut down, and then come back in "Recover" mode. The DVD-R is actually NOT TOUCHED, and starting again sometimes works and sometimes causes the power fail again. Has anyone else seen this? Could this be caused by DVD-R's that are not compatible?

By the way, the Panasonic DMR-E80H unit has NO firewire input.

My last question: I am considering returning the Panasonic and buying the Pioneer DVR-510HS. This unit seems similar to the Panasonic, but does have Firewire input on the front. This is a NON-TiVo unit, and says it supports editing. It is named in the topic, but no one has said anything abou it. For me, important features are:
    1). Ability to transfer a whole video tape to HD in S-Video mode.
    2). Ability to break up a program on the HD into smaller programs (ie, 6 shows transfered in a single block to 6 seperate shows.) (I can do this on the Panasonic.)
    3). Ability to mark and remove small selections from within a program (ie, remove commericals.)
    4). High-speed transfer to the DVD-R.

So,
    1). Does anyone have any experience with this unit and is willing to share?
    2). Can you record a program on the HD and then remove the commercials like you can on the Panasonic?
    3). Can I take a long program and break it up into multiple short programs?
    4). And lastly, does it have a true high-speed dub mode?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

-Owen Rubin-