Pioneer DVL 919 or Elite DVL 91

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Dayton, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Sean Dayton

Sean Dayton Stunt Coordinator

I am interested in these two models for LD playback. How much of a difference between the two for LD video playback. Thanks

Sean

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I've never auditioned either piece, but I think that I've read that they are very close. I would expect the 91 to be a tiny bit better, perhals with more variable VDNR than the 91.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I've had the DVL-91 home for a weekend to try a couple of years ago. It's pic is about equivalent to the CLD's 704 & 79. The DVL-919 pic is a step below that about like CLD's 504/59/406, Pioneer's average quality. To look at the DVL-91 with it's rosewood side panels and it's top of the line status you'd think it's LD playback would be as good as the CLD-99, but it's not.
    Personally, I'd rather have a good used CLD-99 than a DVL-91. The 91 compromises LD play for DVD and CD. I was considering the 91 for my bedroom system to save space and play it all. I got a used CLD-99 for less money and didn't regett it, particular since I had enough money leftover to get a modest DVD player too. But, a 91 would beat alot of the used LD players out there...if the price is low enough consider it. Is it new or used? Best wishes!

4. Sean Dayton

Sean Dayton Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info. I need to pick up another LD player for back up for the day my Elite 59 goes to its grave. I would like to get a very low usage Elite 79 or 99 but I have been hearing to many horror stories about players dying prematurely from auction sites purcahses. I was considering the 919 and 91 since they can still be purchased brand new from a vendor but I believe availibility is very low since Pioneer discontinued these model last year.

Sean