Pioneer DVL 700 LD/DVD Player any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_C, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Paul_C

Paul_C Stunt Coordinator

I saw an open box DVL 700 LD/DVD player and they don't want a whole for it. I currently have a CLD-52 and thought this might act as a great backup player.
    I am really only interested in the LD portion of this combo player.
    Thanx.
    Paul.

2. Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar Stunt Coordinator

Jeff
    I bought my DVL-700 in '97 and it is still going strong for laser stuff. [​IMG]
    Jeff

3. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

It's a good LD player,was quiet superrior to the one it replaced in my rig back in '97[CLD-604]
    ------------------
    "You Hungarians always disagree"

4. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I have the same player. Is it any good for DVD though? I have no idea if I should be considering an upgrade. For some reason DVDs do seem to "skip".

5. HankM

HankM Second Unit

The DVL-700 might give you trouble on some of these newer advanced discs. Don't forget, the 700 is first generation DVD player, the LD side is going to be better.

6. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

How do I know if it doesn't handle the newer advanced disks well? What do people do with old but still working electronic equipment anyways I want to know. And ya it's a first gen DVD player and I was thinking of upgrading. But since I don't have an HDTV, the guy at the video/audio place said I won't notice much of a difference upgrading from my current DVL700. Would something like the Xbox be a better player? Or should I spring for a new Pioneer model? (Since I have tons of Pioneer stuff I am a bit brand biased).

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Howard,
    Have you personally had trouble with any discs? If not, and the player's working, why argue with a good thing? [​IMG] You will get a better picture most likely with a newer DVD player (whether you'll be able to notice the difference is definitely a question), and faster menu access, as well as no problems on discs. Theoretically your DVL-700 should work with all discs. In practice that may not hold up. I say keep it unless you have a problem, but I'm always one for advocating keeping old gear. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker